Do You Freeze Your Fish Whole or Gutted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Renay
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do You Freeze Your Fish Whole or Gutted

My mom said that an old neighbor used to freeze trout whole and thaw them, then gut them when he was ready to eat and they tasted like they just came out of the lake. I heard it's bad not to gut a fish before freezing so I got into the habit of gutting them, then freezing my trout. Is it bad to catch fish, freeze them whole and gut them before cooking after they have thawed?

Rex Reynolds
    Post Thanks / Like

i do some guideing for trout on the white river and the best way i know to eat them is fresh caught . if you leave the gills in any fish and freeze them they will probably spoil during the thawing process.

dick
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't trout fish so any answer I gave might not pertain to your fish. However, I do gut, remove gills,head and tail before I freeze my fish. It's just something I have always done.

rasimmons
    monster catfish

i don't trout fish either but anything else i keep gets gutted

USCA ACCOUNTS
    Mutt
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

i always gut them. you can leave the heads on if you want but i dont i remove the heads gills and gut em then if i am going to freeze any i vacum seal them. trout is the number 1 fish i fish for for eating. love em great eating.

AL IRVING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Trout !!!

It is never a good idea to freeze trout or any other fish without cleaning it first. It leaves bad bacteria when thawing it out and can make you very sick.
    Always, always, always.... clean that fish before freezing it if you plan on eating it later.
    Have a good one. :)

Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I clean my fish and wash them real good before freezing them. What the heck I'm goning to eat them at a later date and I sure don't want to get sick. If you spend a little time before freezing fish they will taste better at the table.

Joe
    Post Thanks / Like

Gutting the fish no matter the type always works best for me... My friend actually froze a fish and tried to cut it. He checked to see if it had defrosted and hit the large intestine (ugh)... Moral of the story dont risk it tasting like Cr@p just gut the thing and decapitate it
    Joe

Matt Smith
    Post Thanks / Like

Freezing meat at zero degrees for 30 days will kill all bacteria. Also frying the fish in oil will kill bacteria, so I see no reason why you can't freeze intact fish.

I find trout to be mushy after it's been frozen so I just cook them when I get them home.

Tod Davis
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lawnman61
    It is never a good idea to freeze trout or any other fish without cleaning it first. It leaves bad bacteria when thawing it out and can make you very sick.
    Always, always, always.... clean that fish before freezing it if you plan on eating it later.
    Have a good one. :)
    Well dang, now I'm not sure what to do. When we got out to catch catfish to eat, we may be in the boat the entire nite. No live well yet, so we carry an ice chest with ice in it. As we catch them we throw'em on ice. When ready to leave the lake we go to the cleaning station and clean'em. Washed off and bagged and put in clean iced down ice chest (drink chest). I'm pretty sure the game warden would put the hurt on me if I cleaned them right there on the boat.....
    Once I get the ice chest live well going, I'm gonna stop doing it this way, but untill than.........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast