alabama catfish laws

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CAPT. BRIDGES
    Post Thanks / Like

Default alabama catfish laws

Well we finally got some regulations on our trophy cats...they voted on the 17th unanimously to pass the one fish per day over 34in per person and that it is now illegal to sell live catfish across state lines...this is a big win for us who love our trophy cats...some of you may not know that theres been people here on the tenn river netting all the trophy fish and selling them to pay ponds up north where a fish that size can not live long...so I'am glad to see alabama wakeup and stop the exploitation of our trophy cat fish..thank to all who were involved..:big_smile:

Last edited by j.bridges; 05-22-2008 at 08:14 AM.

Harold
    Post Thanks / Like

AFTER READING YOUR POST I STARTED CHECKING THINGS OUT ON THIS LAW.

AFTER TALKING WITH CHIFE ALLEN ANDRESS OF ALABAMA FISHING ENFORCEMENT THIS IS WHAT HE TOLD ME.

THE LAW WAS PAST BY THE GAME AND FISH BOARD.
    NOW IT IS NOT LAW YET
    IT HAS TO GO THRU A HEARING PROCESS THAT CAN TAKE UP TO 120 DAYS AND IF IT PASSES THERE, THEN IT WILL BECOME LAW. EVERY ONE NEED'S TO WRIGHT THERE STATE REP AND ASK THEM TO VOTE IT INTO LAW BECAUSE WE ARE FIGHTING THE COMMERICAL FISHERMAN'S ON THIS

WE NEED ALL THE HELP WE CAN GET TO PROTECT OLD MR. WISKERS

derric belcher
    Post Thanks / Like

it is good to stop the sale no doubt . but what about the tourney fishing that goes on ? when i fished cabelas the winning team weighted 14 fish total over 34 in in two days . a dont agree with netting them at all or selling that would be like selling deer meat . you guys fish the tourneys too so just look at it .iam 200 percent for saveing the big fish !!!!!

Harold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dinger66 View Post
    it is good to stop the sale no doubt . but what about the tourney fishing that goes on ? when i fished cabelas the winning team weighted 14 fish total over 34 in in two days . a dont agree with netting them at all or selling that would be like selling deer meat . you guys fish the tourneys too so just look at it .iam 200 percent for saveing the big fish !!!!!
    WELL THE 34" RULE APPLY'S TO EVERY BODY , SO EVERY TOURNEY ENTRE WILL HAVE TO ABIDE BY IT SO YOU CAN WEIGHT ONE OVER 34 AND THE REST UNDER SO AFTER YOU GET YOUR 34"R START TARGETING SMALLER ONES

CAPT. BRIDGES
    Post Thanks / Like

well it all depends on the state.. when I fish a tourny in tenn your only allowed one over 34 per person but virginia has the same law but waves this law for tournys because they know there being released..so it all depends what the state wants to do..

derric belcher
    Post Thanks / Like

well iam buying a house in greenhill al close to wheeler damn . you cant kill the big tourney revenue that is generated for the florence area . not to meantion the guides .i think you should aim at commercial fising takeing fish out of state, not the other people fishing.but we all have our causes but the whole thing needs to be reveiwed and adjusted .

CAPT. BRIDGES
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey I fish that area and I fish ever tourny over there and if smaller weigh in save trophy cats I'am all for it..you still have to have the biggest fish to win so whats the problem and as far as tour guiding you can keep all the little ones you want and catch all the 34 plus you want but you can only keep one over 34 per person.. btw tenn has had this law for awhile and theres more big tounrys such as bass pro and cabelas in that state than there is any where and they also have some great trophy catfishing thanks to the same laws...
    Last edited by j.bridges; 05-22-2008 at 05:12 PM.

derric belcher
    Post Thanks / Like

that is why i said what i said iam not claiming to know how to fix the problem . iam just one person and opion are like noses and i didnt mean to bend anyone's out of shape lol . like i said i belive in saveing the big fish!!!!!!!!! so dont tar and feather me for just speaking my mind and concerns.

Greg
    Post Thanks / Like

Dinger, I shared your same concerns about tourneys. But it is better to go ahead and get a law mirroring TN's passed and then we can adjust and change the laws as we need. In most cases I would say this is backwards, but it is impossible to get a law passed exempting tourneyments and cracking down on commerical fishermen. Go ahead and get the law passed, once its enacted we can amend it as need be using the "lost revenue" arguement. Plus a "Team Event" you can have two 34" fish, one for each member. So it's not that draconian. More important than tournaments is the quality of fish we are going to leave for our kids and for ourselves. I am sure no one meant you any ill will, there is just alot of passion involved from us that spend all our time in pursuit of trophy cats.

CAPT. BRIDGES
    Post Thanks / Like

No hard feelings Dinger...it's just that there are many people that have put in alot of hard work to get something done before the trophy cats start to become scarce...the guys that caused us to fight to get this law in place are not commercial fisherman they target trophy fish to go in pay ponds up north...there is no market for big cats at fish markets but these guys have commercial fisherman that will call them when they catch big cats and they will buy these fish from commercial fisherman...this has to be stopped...we had the great displeasure of talking to the man behind this and he said he only does it in the spring and fall but his small truck will hold 1500lb of trophy cats and he does have bigger trucks...at a load or two loads a week spring and fall thats alot of trophy cats and our main reproducers..I've seen them on Wheeler and Guntersville and they have been seen on Wilson. I agree with Greg about getting the law in place and maybe there needing to be changes after that to make it possible to waive the rule when it is concerning a tournament(like in Virginia). It may end up that we cannot have it both ways(like Tennessee). If that is the case, I still think that the law needed to be put in place and will support it to save our cats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast