Thomas Hill Lake

Tom
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thomas Hill Lake

Just wandering if anyone fishes Thomas Hill for cats. I have fished it some when I was a kid with dad. But havent fished it for years. Also are the camp grounds still missing trees?

Tom

Jon
    Post Thanks / Like

we fish Thomas hill some. I feel like its a good channel cat lake. We usually take minnows and catch the hybrid bass (fun fun) , but sometimes i take shrimp and u can catch hybrids and channel cats. Its been a while since ive been there but im sure its still good. Nothing like it in the middle of winter. and hey if the cats arent biting there you can jump over to Long branch they catch some nice Flatheads in there. i feel like theres more fish in general and better fishing at Thomas Hill. IMO

Matt Smith
    Post Thanks / Like

Thomas hill is chock-full of fiddlers. BUT, I have seen a 60# flathead caught there, and a buddy of mine caught an 18# channel cat there too. There are good cats in there, ya just gotta weed through the dinks. I think it's overpopulated with channels. I think they spawn all year long in there lol.

Tom
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info guys.

Tom

Paul Collins Jr.
    Post Thanks / Like

I grew up very close to Thomas Hill but havent fished it in years. I'd say if your thinking Thomas Hill you may as well go a little farther east and fish Long Branch Lake over by Macon. I visit family in Macon several times a year and apparently there are some really good flatheads coming out of there. I;ve heard some say that the lake was also stocked with blues but I dont know that for a fact. However, if you look at a mo. map it was the east fork of the chariton river that they damed up to make the lake and the chariton runs into the Missouri river so there probably are some blues in it. Anyway, from the talk I hear around Macon the north end of Long Branch is where the locals in that area get the big flats !! Hope this helps. Paul :wink:

Matt Smith
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by POLECAT View Post
    I grew up very close to Thomas Hill but havent fished it in years. I'd say if your thinking Thomas Hill you may as well go a little farther east and fish Long Branch Lake over by Macon. I visit family in Macon several times a year and apparently there are some really good flatheads coming out of there. I;ve heard some say that the lake was also stocked with blues but I dont know that for a fact. However, if you look at a mo. map it was the east fork of the chariton river that they damed up to make the lake and the chariton runs into the Missouri river so there probably are some blues in it. Anyway, from the talk I hear around Macon the north end of Long Branch is where the locals in that area get the big flats !! Hope this helps. Paul :wink:
    There definitely are blues in Longbranch. I don't know if they are stocked or just there though.

Paul Collins Jr.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kat in the hat View Post
    There definitely are blues in Longbranch. I don't know if they are stocked or just there though.
    Actually, I graduated high school from Macon back in 1974 and left shortly after and only go back to visit. One of these days I'd like to make a little longer visit to my Moms and fish Long Branch. Paul