Dams - What part of the Dam is best for Flathead Catfishing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Josh Marrs
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dams - What part of the Dam is best for Flathead Catfishing?

Do flatheads live around dams? If so, what part of the dam would be best for flatheads? Should i fish right up on it, or back off and fish downstream some? Should i fish above the dam at all? Thanks for the help!

Dale Finney
    Post Thanks / Like

Dams are always a good place to fish . Below the dam normally holds the most fish as they can;t move up stream.I would fish the Eddy's and back current.

Lyle

Post Thanks / Like

On the Mississippi I've been there when they run water thru, get as close as you dare use cut bait and hold on if they are in there it is a outstanding fishing trip. I fished a tournment last year and just wasn't in the spot and watched everyone else slay fish including the winner of the tourney. It truly can be awesome but BE CAREFULL as it is the most dangerous places to be even with a big boat.

Josh Marrs
    Post Thanks / Like

The dam that i would be fishing at is not accessible by boat. A boat was capsized last year and 2 people died. Now, you aren't allowed to get right up on it in a boat. You can still shore fish though!!

Mark Smith
    Post Thanks / Like

Here in PA on the mon river i fish bellow a dam from shore probally about 200 yards downstream and catch alot of nice healthy flatheads with my biggest at 40 pounds for PA thats big i see alot of guys on boats closer to the dam but i dont see them catching any great numbers . but my friend caught a 41 pounder in a boat so anywhere around a dam should be productive. If there is alot of shore line to fish dont be afraid to get up and move.

Josh Marrs
    Post Thanks / Like

If you were to check my public profile, you would notice that, i too, am from PA!!!!! I live about 20 mins. south of Harrisburg, and I fish the Susquehanna River. Anyway, thanks for the advice, I'm sure it'll come in handy!!

mike
    Post Thanks / Like

im assuming your fishing a low-head dam? lots of lowheads near me but they vary as far as bottom contour and depth. the only ones worth messing with are the ones that have a pool and water 8ft or deeper. if so just look for slack water right off of the swift current during the day and fish the rear and sides of the pool at night. there is so much baitfish stacked up in those pools that flats really dont have to move much, just wait till something swims by.

Josh Marrs
    Post Thanks / Like

In response to your assumption, yes it is a lowhead dam. It is used by a hydroelectiric company to well, produce electricity lol. It is a fairly common area for people to fish for catfish, so I'm sure there are some in there!

Skip
    Post Thanks / Like

J, fish that dam till you can't stand it no more. Then get in a boat and probe all around it. I caught all my biggest fish back in my shore-bound days at the dam. I don't care if the water is 12 feet above flood stage, there will be flats in the area. The water is rushing by very fast on the surface and against the line you have casted out,but on the bottom there is little current, they can hold down there with ease, if you can put on enough weight to stay in the scour hole you'll catch fish. Any place with no current but next to it during high water is another place to present a bait. If the waters high use the biggest bait you can 1 to 2 lbs, there is so much turbulence and water noise you need to go big. Plus the little ones have cleared out and went downstream where the water is calmer.
    Now during normal water levels in the summer, place one in the middle of the scour hole, one at the face of the dam, and one at the tailout where the water gets shallow again. They will feed at one or more these spots. Find where then put all your baits there. Remember though that they can switch from one to another at any time, they're chasing baitfish.

Josh Marrs
    Post Thanks / Like

Is any one spot on the dam going to be better than another? If so, which area?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast