Large Minnows, for Blue Catfish?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    D
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Large Minnows, for Blue Catfish?

First off, I've never tried fishing for blues in the winter, or any other fish for that matter. I mainly fish for flatheads. I'm planning to go out this evening and give this winter thing a go. I will be bank fishing on a river, and my bait options for this time of year would be limited to large 3" minnows. Shad would be the best bait, but this time of year I have no access to shad. My question for you folks is, would using large minnows be worth a try?

Vernon Parrish
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Large minnows

Swiftwater, until I got a boat, 90% of my cats came from the bank on large shiners and chubs. I will still use them on occassion, when baitfish are hard to find. I say the bait will be effective. The main thing is to fish an area that has fish. That's the hard part from the bank this time of year. If you can fish when the river is running out hard, you will likely have better luck. Vern

Ken Lee
    Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest you go to the Xtra Large Minnows if the bait stores in your area has them.

Thomas Constant
    Post Thanks / Like

I use large and extra-large minnows during the winter because throwing the cast net is to risky.

Jay

Post Thanks / Like

good luck and tell us how it goes and where u went

Rory (Rusty) Carter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use shrimp sometimes, it's worth a try.

Kenneth
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bream, Brim for bait

Blues eat whatever is in their water. I see you are from VA. Last year my brother and I went in the James in Jan. I caught some Brim in a pond on the sunny side the day before. Put them in a plastic bag on ice and used them the next Day. My brother and I caught 11 Blues the next day including one 37 pounds. They like cut Brim.:) :) :) :) :) Good luck. Where in VA are you from?

D
    Post Thanks / Like

Well they seemed to outsmart me today. I used 4 minnows which produced one bite and no cats landed. All in all it was a great day to be on the water and I will try this winter thing again..

Vern, having a boat definitely has it's advantages. I keep telling my wife the finer points of owning a boat and she reminds me i have a canoe. That's all the boat one man could ever need, RIGHT? lol. It's a new year and still no boat. Maybe next year!

Paraguayguy, nice fish in that picture. Using bream never crossed my mind and I will try cutbait next trip. I live just south of Lynchburg..

Thanks

marty
    Post Thanks / Like

I fish the tidal Potomac and have to admit that ALL of my top 5 blues have chomped on 5-6 inch live chubs.

Pete Kildow
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

I caught 2 blues today ( aorund 6 lbs each) on 3" minnows on sauger jigs. Was sauger fishing and it was a good fight in 40ft of water with 10/2 lb line.
    PEte

Wild Wolf Products Fishing Tackle
    Need Hooks?
    Home of the Kat Bobber
    http://Wildwolfproducts.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast