River Minnow Trap

Jerry
    Post Thanks / Like

Default River Minnow Trap

I couldnt find a plastic trap anywhere to catch those little river minnows so I decided to build one of my own.

First you will need some supplies.
    1. A 1 Gallon clear plastic jug I used a Hawaian Punch jug
    2. small drill bit to drill holes in the lid ( I used a hot nail :roll_eyes: )
    3. 2 empty clear empty soda or water bottles 16 or 20 ounce
    4. An exacto knife or equivelant I used my pocket knife
    5. Some clear epoxy can be bought at the Auto Parts store for about 5 bucks I used hot glue but dont reccomend it at all my trap fell aprt the first 2 times in the water.
    First go ahead and soak in hot water to get the label off the jug.Then take the lid and drill some holes in it not real big holes just a bunch of small ones.

Now for your first funnel for the fish to go in cut your soda bottle just past the neck where it becames larger and straighter.

Now using this first bottle neck as a template take and mark you jug just below where the neck ends ( look at the pics when I add them at the end if your not sure)
    Then using the exacto or whatever cutting instrument you have cut out the hole making sure to cut INSIDE the line you just made with the bottle neck.

Go exactly to the opposite side a few inches from the bottom and make another hole just like the first.If you make it to close to the bottom your minnows will fall out of the bottom hole while you drag your trap back in.

Ok now cut your other soda bottle just like the first one.

Then you slide the soda bottle tops you cut with the mouth end inside the jug leaving just a small lip to the outside for the epoxy to hold to.

Epoxy the soda tops around the seams then find some lead or other weight material and epoxy it to the very bottom of the jug.It will take around 6 ounces to sink this trap or more for a faster sinking.

Now go to the river and using soda crackers or Ritz crackers crumble a couple into the water you are wanting to get minnows from.When you locate a large school of minnows just drop a couple crackers into the jug put on the lid and set it just off the bank in enough water to cover it.

Please be sure to tie a rope or something to the handl so you can retrieve it.

I hope someone find this useful as those river minnows are excellent catfish and bass/crappie bait.

Attached Images Attached Images   

john fisher
    Post Thanks / Like

looks good Jerry, let us know how it works. I have made em out of hardware cloth but it's been a long time.

Dale
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice :big_smile:! I love homemade fishing gear. I get great satisfaction from using things that I built myself.

Bob Durr
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dollar store minnow trap.

I made one out of 3 Dollar Store aluminum mesh (expanded metal) waste baskets. The 3rd one was used to form the funnels.
    The baskets cost $1.00 each so the total cost of the trap was $3.00.
    It took awhile and was sort of a pain to form the funnels but it worked so good someone stole it.

Have a good one
    just

Jerry
    Post Thanks / Like

The thing about those river shiners is that they will stay on the outside of the wire traps and eat the bait thru the mesh,you might catch a couple bigger ones in them but the clear plastic ones work much better.

I am going to take some pictures of the trap in action this evening.

Bob Durr
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry60k View Post
    The thing about those river shiners is that they will stay on the outside of the wire traps and eat the bait thru the mesh,you might catch a couple bigger ones in them but the clear plastic ones work much better.

I am going to take some pictures of the trap in action this evening.
    Ever tried dry dog food?
    It holds together better than crackers. What I've found is that once one fish gets inside the others get the idea and follow.
    good luck
    just

Matthew Penix
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jerry thank you for sharing this with us looks like you have your self one nice looking set up right there, I may try and make one one day this week tommorow, me and my cousin who is in the marines is going fishing and I set some traps to try catch some chubs take with us.

Brian
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

great idea and it looks really nice.