Quantcast
Goldfish as bait ?

In Memory of MRR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nathan Moon
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Goldfish as bait ?

Is it leagal or illeagal to use goldfish as bait? I know bait shops that sell them, but no one can give me a strait answer if they are leagal or not, but one thing I do know is that they do make for some really good bait.

Leland
    Post Thanks / Like

Good question?????:confused2:

Jason Murphy
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never fished with gold fish but I have fished SC with black salties which is a hybrid goldfish and they are legal according to there website.

Curt
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

Don't waste your time or Money. Goldfish to be effective need to BE BIG and they cost to much.

talking big catfish bait only below;
    Big Crappie HEADS (with a bit of the stomack left, ask a guide to keep you some) are the best for Blues as is cut herring. Flat Heads are partial to bream BIG ones 1 lb or more bigger than your hand will get bite every time on the river humps, white perch work but not as good as a bream.

Eels work fantastic when you can get them. Flatheads crawl overthemselves to bite em!

Curt
    Live on lake Marion (Potato Creek) if you been there you will know my place its the one with the football field sticking out in the lake.

Shane Smith
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am not sure in your area but I have used them in Ohio............I am pretty sure they were legal??

Ron

Post Thanks / Like

Default gold fish

GOLD FISH ARE GREAT BAIT. THAT IS HERE IN TEXAS AND OKLAHOME A GOLD FISH IS JUST A CARP IT SEEM LIKE THEY LIVE FOR EVER ON A TROTLINE, JUG LINE, AND LIMB LINE AND GREAT FOR ROD AND REEL WHEN FISHING FOR OPPS (FLATHEAD)

Jonathan

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing with goldfish was legalized just this year, if I recall correctly. It was illegal for a long time because DNR worried about filling SC waters with non-indigenous fish. So yes, you can use them 'till your heart's content.

On the other hand, though, I don't know why anyone would. Especially since you can catch bait over and over again with a $25 cast net from Wal-mart.

Thomas Constant
    Post Thanks / Like

They were legal two years ago when I called DNR and asked. If you want to be on the safe side call DNR and ask them. They have the numbers on the DNR site for the people over the fisheries.

Nathan Moon
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cgoyette View Post
    Don't waste your time or Money. Goldfish to be effective need to BE BIG and they cost to much.

Big Crappie HEADS (with a bit of the stomack left, ask a guide to keep you some) are the best for Blues as is cut herring. Flat Heads are partial to bream BIG ones 1 lb or more bigger than your hand will get bite every time on the river humps, white perch work but not as good as a bream.

Eels work fantastic when you can get them. Flatheads crawl overthemselves to bite em!

Curt
    Live on lake Marion (Potato Creek) if you been there you will know my place its the one with the football field sticking out in the lake.
    I can get hand size goldfish for 7 dollars a dozen. I think that they are plenty big, and cheap too.

Joe
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cgoyette View Post

Curt
    We get goldfish for like $8 a dozen and they are 3-7 inches long and it is one of the best baits we use for flatheads as well as blues
    DNR told me at Santee you can use them just don't release them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast