Which Month is the best month to start catching catfish?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Which Month is the best month to start catching catfish?

Is the best month of the year to Start fishing for catfish? Feb,Mar,Apr? I never really went out before May or June, but can you fish for them this early in Creeks and Lakes or is winter catfishing more of a River thing for those big blues?

Nick Ulbricht
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess that would really depend on what type of fish you are going after. I would say flatheads are the hardest to catch in cold weather. Blues are being caught right now in some areas I am sure in deep water lakes. River fishing right now for me is a no go. Lots of current and 35 degree water... ain't much happening there. Maybe if you know where some deeeeep river water is. I start fishing for flatheads in early april most years, with late april/early may being most productive for me . Channels can also be caught a little earlier than flatheads.

Last edited by SangamonCatKiller; 02-08-2006 at 09:20 AM.

George
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

I generally get started in March for channels. When the river starts creepin up towards 50 degrees. They can be caught in the winter also. I would think that geography and climate would dictate your best starting time.
    "IF YA SAY YOU'RE GONNA DO IT----DO IT"

Jerry Trew
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess that depends a lot on where you are. I remember trying to fish in the winter when I was stationed in Montana and having the wet line freeze solid on my reel. But then, I've seen pictures of people catching cats through the ice. Here in Arkansas, winter fishing often seems to be best below the warm water outlet of a powerhouse, but they're caught elsewhere too. I guess I'm like an old bear; I tend to den up for the winter. But come spring, I get out on the water and catch them kitties.

Jack
    Post Thanks / Like

Ohio late march early april for channel cats, late april early may for flatheads...Might help if you had where you lived in your profile?;)

Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

East Texas, year round. LOL
    Fishing picks up around end of April and gets better through may, June July for me. The way winters have been here, you can catch cats year round.

Brian Lindsey
    Post Thanks / Like

In CA we fish all yer round for cats, but I am moving to Indy and i cannot imagine catfishing with snow on the ground in the winter.

Ken Lee
    Post Thanks / Like

Grunt here in Missouri things really start heating up in March but Blues and Channel cats can be caught year round.;)

Nate
    Post Thanks / Like

i've been fishing for Blues and channels all year and im going to start on flatheads come april

Robb

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by centralcalcat
    In CA we fish all yer round for cats, but I am moving to Indy and i cannot imagine catfishing with snow on the ground in the winter.
    Yep, Vince still fishing in shorts. We catfish year round in CA. Brian, dress warm brother;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast