Problems with Illinois Snagging Rules

Jeff
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Problems with Illinois Snagging Rules

I snag below Alton and Chain of Rocks but now I'm told I have to obey the Illinois regs. I got the info from three different IDNR agents that state you have to be within 300 yards of the Alton Dam and No snagging below Chain Of Rocks on the Illinois side. I snag from a boat with a missouri license. Anyone else having problems?

chris
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bluetick1897 View Post
    I snag below Alton and Chain of Rocks but now I'm told I have to obey the Illinois regs. I got the info from three different IDNR agents that state you have to be within 300 yards of the Alton Dam and No snagging below Chain Of Rocks on the Illinois side. I snag from a boat with a missouri license. Anyone else having problems?
    You can snag from a boat on the Missouri side of the Chain of Rocks Dam. However, below the Alton Dam the Illinois State Line extends to lower side of the island that's across from the boat ramp. The river channel used to be around the island. Therefore, that is where the state line is located.

It's complicated, snagging paddlefish is the only sportfishing reciprocal agreement the two states didn't work out. Sooooo, we are stuck with Illinois' regulations which only allow snagging within 300 yards of a dam.

Jeff
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats exactly what I was told. Thanks for the confirmation. I have been going to Winfield since then and not doing very well.