River Eels

Thread: River Eels

Catfish Slayer
    Floyd Scott
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

Default River Eels

Anyone catch many eels out of rivers . why are they so mean ...lol

Icaught one and had to cut line he was so angree . Then he more less walked right back into the river . :006:

Eric
    Post Thanks / Like

I think most guys around here don't know we have eels in the Miss and Missouri River, it's called the American Eel.

The fish spawn in the Sargasso Sea out in the Atlantic, they float for about a year looking like a transparent leaf, before metamorphosing into a small eel. They then start to head to the coast of N. America and find their fresh water rivers which they will call home for the next 6-20 years. They used to be found as far north as South Dakota, but they probably don't make it that far anymore with the dams. After living, growing, maturing in the rivers they swim back out to the Sargasso Sea to spawn and die. Neat fish. :big_smile:

Mike
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I heard that!

Last summer I took a young neighbor fishing and he caught a good sized eel on worm and did not know what it was. He didn't even want to bring it aboard! I told him to grab a towel and grip the eel (big as your wrist) really hard. He didn't grab hard enough so it slipped through. Gamely he tried again and this time had the grip, but the eel's tail snaked out and wrapped aroung his forearm. Well, he yelled, "its slimming me". Kinda funny really, but I kept it, cleaned it, and fried it up. Not bad, but he was still having flashbacks from the movie Aliens and did not eat much. I do not catch them much any more. It is so hard to believe that they can migrate so far. Hannibal Mike

Dave Sitton
    Post Thanks / Like

Several years ago I caught a large Eel on the Merimac River..when we got to the bank I had the eel to show off and an old man said it was the best cat fish bait he had ever used. He said to skin the eel and cut it into 1" slices and put on a pan an allow to sit in the sun. He told me to sprinkle garlic salt on each side after it started to turn. He claimed the eel would turn dark red and could be froozen for catfishing later. I took this guys advice and took this thing home and cleaned it and cut it up and put it on several flat pans (covered in aluminum) and put the pans on top of my shed under direct sun light. After about three hours I checked the eel and it was turning very dark red just like the old guy said. I pain stakenly sprinkled each piece and I turned each piece over. I had several plastic containers to freeze my secret catfish bait. I was in the house when my wife came in not knowing what I had done with the eel and stated "Did you see all those cats on the shed roof?" WHAT! I ran to the door to see no less that a dozen cats on the roof of my shed eating my eel! By the time I got to the roof top I was not able to save one piece. I never got to try one piece of that eel on cat fish but it sure in the heck worked on cats!

FRANK
    Post Thanks / Like

I HAVE ALSO BEEN TOLD THEY MAKE GREAT CATFISH BAIT,BUT NEVER TRIED THEM.HOW DO YOU SKIN SOMETHING SO SLIMMY?

Dave Sitton
    Post Thanks / Like

I nailed his slimmy little head on the side of the shed and made a circle cut around his neck and pulled the skin off. Was not that bad. Have not caught one since.

George
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

I've said it a million times on this board. Chunk em up real good and get em out on a hook. To get a good hold on em use one of them green scotch scrubbin pads or get em in some sand or better yet get em on ice to numb them and calm them down. Ya are gonna need a SHARP knife to cut em up. Take the chunk of bait and just run the hook through the dark part of the skin and let it dangle. I promise ya it won't come off. Also if you catch it, claim the head. Its the best part.:wink:
    "IF YA SAY YOU'RE GONNA DO IT----DO IT"

VICTOR
    Post Thanks / Like

Default good cut bait....

i was out fishing and caught one in a csting net.the only thing i caught in my throw net(one of those days where you can't even catch a shad day).so, i cut it up and it worked pretty good.My question is how do you catch them besides using a casting net?????

Gary H
    Post Thanks / Like

Default eels

around here we use a eel trap ,its kinda like a minnow trap with an extension and man thats some great bait and good eating

VICTOR
    Post Thanks / Like

Default what do they look like....

what do they like like and what do you use for bait