Removing jon boat center bench seat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nate Griffith
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Removing jon boat center bench seat

i'm posting this for someone i know who is currently looking into buying a 14ft riveted jon boat but only wants to do so if the center bench seat can be removed. If the seat was removed would the vessel still be structurally sound??

Barry (Bear) Johnson
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen alot of people do it, but the bench is part of the structure just the same as the ribs. To what extent it will weaken the hull I cant say, but it will definately weaken it if you dont replace it with a rib.

Matthew Penix
    Post Thanks / Like

ive seen people do it but they usually make repairs to it before putting it back in the water

Dave Patton
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand this.

Why not buy a jon that's made w/o the center seat?

keith sword
    Post Thanks / Like

the removal will weaken it some.
    Your friend would need to replace the seat with a "stiffener" rib of some kind. The "benches" in a jon boat are a important part,so just cutting it out would be bad.

Pete Kildow
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

IT easy just grind the heads off them on the inside down to where there level with the seat.
    Then take the seat out. And then with 2 hammers One on the out side hold it aganst the rivet. And the inside hit the rivet and it will seal the holes back over and not a leak/
    I you need more info just Pm me. Did this to a few of them. and last one I did was a 1988 new Polarcraft 1448 john new. Got it home and cut it out.
    Seen the boat last year and still not leaking . Used to to mussle in and fish bait nets and jumper lines.
    Petet
    Wild Wolf Products Fishing Tackle
    Need Hooks?
    Home of the Kat Bobber
    http://Wildwolfproducts.com

Buck McClendon
    Post Thanks / Like

I removed both seats from a 1648 john, did not add anything but a plywood floor. Never had any problems and neighbor still has boat in use. Can be done but use some common sense.

wayne
    Post Thanks / Like

If you "have" to do it strengthen the walls with plating of some type. Alum. is best but it's $. Drill through it into your ribs and rivet it to them. This will keep it from twisting. I've got an old bass boat that I cut the front deck back about a foot and a half and did this using sheet metal screws and rivets. No problems at all. You are talking about the center stability of your type of boat though. The time, work and money you spend you might want to save a while, sell what you have and buy what you need.

Matt R
    Post Thanks / Like

this might help w/ your ques.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67816

I agree w/ Katmandeux, if you haven't bought anything yet then look around for one w/ an open layout.

Matt

KENNY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a 75 15ft lowe riveted-I took the seat out and riveted some railes down the inside plus screwed them down to my floor-Its as strong now as it was beore I did this....It also give me a place to mount lights to and behind them makes good odd/end storage.
    My first boat was a 74 polercraft and someone did this to it and no bracing ....still out there-Id brace it though!-You realy shouldnt do it but....hey it aint a catfishin boat unless you do:wink:

one who is of sound mind keeps his inner madman under lock & key......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast