Quantcast
Best bait for yo yo fishing

In Memory of MRR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Michael Scott
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best bait for yo yo fishing

I just got a dozen yo yo's from cabelas.I baited them with half a nightcrawler and set them out today.Does any one have a favorite bait for yo yo fishing.

Clarence Cremea
    Post Thanks / Like

I use shrimp , night crawlers, and even used hotdogs and caught quite a few.

Verlon Lawrence
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Yo-Yo's bait

I use minnows if I am crappie fishing, for cats I use cut skips or shad. I have also tried rice slicks on my yo-yo's.

Bruno

Post Thanks / Like

I've done as well off of cheap hot dogs as anything else. Quick and easy to bait with and catfish love them. The cheaper ones are tougher and work better.

Michael Scott
    Post Thanks / Like

I checked my yo yo's this mornin and had about a 10 pound channel on one and a little bluegill on another one.I've fished in doctor's lake my whole life and never caught a channel that big.2 other yo yo's were damaged.One had the 60# nylon line snapped and the other one was torn from the 2 inch wide branch.:cursing:

Michael Scott
    Post Thanks / Like

will post pictures when i get them developed.

Bryan Sirotkin
    Post Thanks / Like

hmmm you may have gotten a snapping turtle come and attacked fish that were on it as well which would account for broken yo yos and also snapped lines... ummm the limb broken off doesn't mean much unless it you know it was a tree thats alive and that the limb was alive. one thing you could do and i know this is sometimes frowned upon because of the seeming injury to the tree but nail it to the main trunk of the tree... use a large U nail or common nail and it should stay well... could also screw it in w/ a washer to hold it better and also means its removeable more easily.

as for bait... i'd go with chicken livers or cut bait, unless you like getting the bicatch such as sunnies and ba$$.

JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

I Use Shrimp, Nightcrawlers, And Bluegill Heads.

Robert Smith
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually use live shiners. you will get some white perch but the cats will eat them too. I have caught two 20 lb+ buffalo on yo-yos and they were on thin guage white perch hooks. If you use live bait you might want to put a mid size split shot about 4-6 inches above the hook. keeps them from getting tangled up in the tree.

Make sure the limbs are good and limber and you tie good knots. I started about a year ago tying a big loop in the hanging line so that I could loop it over the limb, put the yoyo thru the hole and cinch it up on the limb. easy to get off when you are done.

Good luck buddy!

Buster McFadden
    Post Thanks / Like

Default YO-Yo Fishing

I like to use cut bait and night crawlers, have seen commericial fishermen use but up Ivory soap and cheese.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast