Mounting transducer on fiberglass boat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bill
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mounting transducer on fiberglass boat

Hi folks,
    What is the proper procedure to attach a transducer mount to a fiberglass boat transom? I hate to be drilling holes in my transom. Also, from the bottom of my boat to the actual floor, there is about a five inch void, I'm assuming filled with foam. I don't think a screw would have any meat to catch on. I could actually fiberglass the mount to the boat, but was wondering wht the easiest and most correct method would be.
    Bil in SC

Lawrence Wise
    Post Thanks / Like

I just drilled pilot holes, filed them with a marine sealant, and used stainless steel scres to fasten the mount to the boat. Now, I wont say this is the right way, but sure is nice when you go to replace the transducers. lOL

Women are as old as they look-Men are not old until they stop looking

David LeTourneau
    Post Thanks / Like

A transducer can be mounted inside the hull on a fiber glass boat. Clean an area on the hull and epoxy it down. You must be sure there are no air bubbles in the epoxy between the transducer and the hull.

Adam R
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AwShucks View Post
    I just drilled pilot holes, filed them with a marine sealant, and used stainless steel scres to fasten the mount to the boat. Now, I wont say this is the right way, but sure is nice when you go to replace the transducers. lOL
    thats the way i did mine

Bill harris
    Post Thanks / Like

the same with me i put screws right trough the fiberglass back there were you need to be putting it you should have more then foam an fiberglass when i drilled mine out there was wood as well

Bill
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind that I said there was a foam filled area between the bottom of the hull and the floor. The foam and it's tiny air pockets/bubbles would probably throw the instrument off if I mounted it on the inside of the boat. I'm in a quandary because I sure hate to drill any holes below the water line, even with the marine epoxy or silicone based products to keep water out. I just figure I could cut some 4 inch by 4 inch fiberglass tape and resin, and apply it over the "ears" of the transducer mount where the screws normally go.. If I ever got ready to change the mount I could easily take an end grinder and remove the mount without compromising the integrity of the boat. Thanks for the replies thus far. I anxiously await others.
    BB in SC

Adam R
    Post Thanks / Like

the screws are the best way to go.... also the fist place you put it will most likely not be the best so with the screw you can adjust it..

Lawrence Wise
    Post Thanks / Like

There is an aluminium mount you can purchase, think bass pro has them, which fastens to the top of the transom with a screw clamp and mounts the transducer below the water line. Perhaps this would fit your needs.
    Women are as old as they look-Men are not old until they stop looking

Bryan
    Post Thanks / Like

bass pro or cabelas sell these mounting boards you can put on the boat.. i got one for my aluminum boat but same theory for a fiberglass. Mount this to the boat.. then you can change or move your transducer as much as you want with out putting different holes in the transom etc. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=SearchResults

Mark Johnson
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There are millions of glass boats that have more then a transducer screwed into the transom.
    Try engine mounting bolts.

Never understood the logic of owning something and being afraid to use it.
    You can mount that transducer with an 8 pound sledge and it can be fixed.
    People freak at holes in boats. I dont

You know where I would mount a transducer?
    Bronze Thru hull. Drill a hole right smack dab through the bottom of the boat.
    The best readings you can get.

Of course there is a proper way and a screwed up way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast