Mounting Permanent Seats in a Jon Boat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    John
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mounting Permanent Seats in a Jon Boat

I was wondering how I can mount seats in my jon boat???

Can I get base's and sheet metal screw them, would that be enough security to hold through the years of abuse...>?<

Here's a pic of my boat about a year ago, i got everything setup except permanent seat mounts. "The clamp on seat's suck" !!!

This pic is when i first got my boat !!! " I figured it would be easier to see from the beginning...

HAWK :big_smile:

Any info would be appreciated !!!

Jim --Mr. eBay
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

Big tec screws will hold anything. Get the big ones with the 3/8s head. I love tec screws. :big_smile:

Be Ye Fishers Of Men, You Catch Them, He Will Clean Them

This is a Day the Lord has made,,, Let us Rejoice and be glad in it.

Dave Patton
    Post Thanks / Like

If your plans do not include pedestals, i.e. just seats and bases, large stainless steel sheet metal screws (14x1") will work just fine. Avoid fasteners that are not ss.

Pedestals change everything. Here's a thread on mounting rod holders that addresses "blind" fasteners. You should find it helpful.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showt...t=69245&page=2

Btw, the clamp-on bases are pretty handy for trying out seat locations before installing permanent bases.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious about this too. Looking at seats for my jon boat also. Like has been already mentioned remember to use Stainless Steel screws on that aluminum boat....it'll save you headaches down the road (i.e. holes in your boat from corrosion:crazy:).

David Ashby

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a couple of opions for a way to mount the seats with a little versatility.
    Follow the link that Dave posted above for some good information on threadserts, etc for fastening them to anywhere you can not access the back side.
    Here are the pictures of the mounts.

Hope this helps,
    David
    Attached Images Attached Images    

John
    Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about using pedestal's...

I was thinking mounting the pedestal base, and using a male adapter bolted to the seat. "I have no need for extension rods"

i want to mount a pedestal base on the rear bench seat, and also on both sides of the livewell. that way when i fish from the rear of the boat i'll have the entire back open for fishing. Hope this makes since.

Base's would look like this
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...004000_200-4-9

male adapter would look like this
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...004000_200-4-9

This way i can remove the seat's easliy or change them around if needed..

Appreciate the feedback i hope all this makes since to you all !!!

HAWK

Dave Patton
    Post Thanks / Like

What I call pedestals, you call extension rods.:smile2:In any case, they can put a lot of stress on the bases, and associated fasteners.

With just the base and adapter, that's not so much of a problem...unless you really plan on abusing the seat, screws should be fine. Be aware that the aluminum the seat is made of will be pretty thin...maybe .070", or so...easy does it on those screws.

Those components you linked are available at WalMart, btw.

Jay Smith
    Post Thanks / Like

The seats come with threaded inserts pressed into the bottom of the seat that you use to bolt the base on with. It is my experience to just go ahead and take them out when they are new. Take the cushion off the seat and drill holes all the way through the bottom of the seat where the inserts were. Use 1/4" bolts, washers and lock nuts to go all the way through the bottom of the seat and hold the base on. Then put the cushion back on. If you can only afford the cheap seats like me, the threaded inserts do not last. Maybe the expensive seats are a little better in this area.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk33 View Post
    "The clamp on seat's suck" !!!
    Been there done that....its no fun sitting in the seat, leaning towards the water and having that clamp slip.......almost fell in last year this way. I didnt find it as funny as my wife did.

Branden
    Post Thanks / Like

If you can get to the underside of what you're mounting them to, I'd through bolt them with a nut and washer. Tek screws will work but as Katmandeaux said, the aluminum is thin and they'll tend to strip or pull out after a while of leaning back in the seat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast