Help with Noodling boxes for Flathead Catfish

Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
    Skip
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with Noodling boxes for Flathead Catfish

I watched a Nat Geo show this week on hand fishing. I was impressed with the flatheads they caught in OK. Anyway the show said they build boxes for flats to spawn in to make it easier to noodle them.

My questions are: LOL-- Does it matter what type of wood I use (is pine like gasoline)? What size of box does it take for a 70 to 80 lb flat to want to use it? how are they anchored in a river so they stay put? And lastly, what does one look like,(open at both ends or only one end?) Should the opening face upstream, downstream or straight out from the bank for best results?

This is a start, I will have more Q's, Thanks in advance if any of my brothers can help me out.

Eric Simcox
    Post Thanks / Like

S-Man I have read a lot of your posts on this board why on earth would you want to build spawn boxes and then pull the catfish off there beds and kill all there eggs that they just laid. I guess I am lost on the hole idea of noodling catfish , that kills all the fish that they are trying to raise. I thought most of us here were more to the catch and release mode here and if you feel the need to eat catfish then do it with the smaller size instead of having a 60-70 pound catfish not nest for that year.. Sorry but just had to ask ?

Skip
    Post Thanks / Like

DH, I was thinking I may be able to increase the egg protection/hatch retention, if I placed a few boxes around the river. Just seemed like they would offer more protection than an open cut-bank or spot under a log. Does that make sense?

george

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

55 gal. drum with one end open is the nest box of choice for most folks here in okla. they are not normaly placed in rivers. they are placed in lakes and then accesed with scuba gear. some use old cream cans but they are hard to find and get expensive.

Eric Simcox
    Post Thanks / Like

S-Man that's fine as long as no one is with you when you do it, cause here is whats going to happen once you have someone with you and this guy tells this guy about it it makes it a easy target for people that will try and noodle catfish. I agree with you on making nesting sites. this is something that needs to be done more often , but one thing for sure if you look at your river banks there is plenty of spots for these fish to go to.

While I was on the road this year, the water was very low all over the rivers and lakes we fished, it is unreal the cuts under the banks and large logs laying on the river or lake beds for them to get under and spawn.

back when I was a State Conservation officer, between the Bass fishermen and the Crappie fishermen it was unreal what they would do to protect there fish, every winter they would bring there Christmas Trees to the lakes and frozen river and place them on top of the ice with big cement bricks to weigh it down when the ice melted and bring in Crappie boxes and set them on the ice so they would go down when the ice melted too.

One thing PA did was stop fishing for Bass on there beds all together, your not even allowed to throw a lure over a bass bed or there is a fine in doing so while there spawning. I will give credit to the Bass and Crappie fishermen and along with the wild trout fishermen they stood up in large numbers and got the laws passed to keep these fish here for a very long time. You don't even hear of people keeping Large Mouth or Small Mouth bass anymore, I think if you said it loud enough on a lake or river system you might hear a gun shot sound.

Don't get me wrong I love a good catfish fillet, there is nothing better then that, and I hope I am eating farm raised catfish when I sit down at a restaurant to eat catfish. I am sorry I felt you was wanting to start noodling catfish in Ohio and I would think that was not good at all. We have a hard enough time keeping the pay lakes from taking them out of the Ohio River and Kentucky and putting them in these dead pay ponds that the fish will never survive of any time.

Thanks for your post back.

D/H

Chris
    Post Thanks / Like

Even though noodling is legal in Oklahoma, it's illegal to make homemade boxes, traps ect to catch them in. We have had lots of dry spells in the last two years and the ODWC has had the opportunity to remove a lot of them. 55 gal drum's are used a lot, also old steel bath tubs. If you get caught putting them in or noodling out of one you can get fined for it. I'd imagine most other states have similar laws on placing traps in water also. I would certainly inquire before placing them in your local river or lake. There's plenty of undercut banks for them to spawn in. There really only used to take catfish not help them.
    Last edited by catfishcentral; 01-12-2008 at 09:01 AM.

Skip
    Post Thanks / Like

DH, I don't eat fish unless it's a Filet-o-fish from McDonalds lol. I just take pics and let them go to get bigger. I have no plans to noodle for flatheads cause that would entail me getting into the dirty river water lol. (not gonna happen)

I would like to place some secure spawning boxes along the banks just to give the hatchlings a better than natural chance at survival, and no I wouldn't let Rollo or Phil know where I placed them lol.

Brian
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Chris on this. Those boxes may be set out with the best of intentions...but SOMEBODY is going to discover, and then consequently exploit them.

You may think it's a secret...but truth be known...there are NO secrets on the river if a guy pays close enough attention and knows it well enough...lol. :wink:

Eric Simcox
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't let Rollo or Phil know where I placed them lol.

LMAO I hear Rollo follows you around and you teach him how to catfish is this correct ? Poor Rollo he is not even here to protect himself this morning oh well, W.J. dreadnut is never here when I nail him either so good job brother.. :smile2:

John A.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeerHunter01 View Post
    We have a hard enough time keeping the pay lakes from taking them out of the Ohio River and Kentucky and putting them in these dead pay ponds that the fish will never survive of any time.
    D/H

Ain't that the truth!!!! I just heard of another new one opening up around here. I think we have more pay ponds than McDonald's in this area. Bad thing is I know a cpl of the main commercial fisherman that help stock most of them...The Ohio and a few other rivers in this tri-state area are getting pounded hard from these 2. Not to mention these other idiot/junkies that go down to the river and sell EVERY flattie, big or small to a couple pay ponds close by. Makes me sick..................:angry:

Thats a great idea you have Skip. Main thing is keep it secret where you do it at. That Rollo guy ya gotta watch for...:wink::smile2:

Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast