Pontoon ideas please

sam

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pontoon ideas please

I recently bought a 24 foot pontoon boat , I got it real cheap everything is mechanically sound . except the flooring , when i tear it down i am going to redo the wiring and set it up for night fishing . this is my first pontoon and i would like to hear some ideas from some of you pontoon owners out there . I am going to have it lit up like a christmas tree , a dual tone electric horn , some new rod racks , and multiple rod holders . But i am still unfamiliar with some of the pros and cons of night fishing from a pontoon boat . I also am considering an electric anchor winch if I can afford one ,I will have plenty of power for any accesories (four batteries).

Ronald
    Post Thanks / Like

I moved my console to the center and I love it. opened up alot more room around the boat. also done away with the deck area on the front by extending the railing all the way to the front. it has no furniture except the drivers seat and 1 1 1/2 by 3 ft dry box to store things in. I run rope lights around the inside of the rails on the floor to light the inside of the boat at night but not shine any light on the water, they are run with a generator when I use them. It is equipped with 20 driftmaster rod holders but I am in the process of changing them to the riftmaster duo rod holders. Just do what you want the sky is the limit

Tim
    Post Thanks / Like

I am with flatheadrex. Take all the furniture off except the drivers seat. Move the console to the middle. Use led lights . Keep in mind red lights wont hurt your nite vision. I would have a canopy towards the front incase of rain. You can still fish out the back. Otherwise if I was doing it I would start with little mods at first and as you fish with it make changes as needed. Hope this helps.

Bill Nolen
    Post Thanks / Like

When I had my pontoon boat I made very few changes...as long as my ice-chest was full of beer I never feld the need to make any big changes!:wink:

However, there was a pontoon boat that fished our area, mostly at night, that had galanized house electrical conduit tubing, and several house electrical outlet boxes along both sides of the boat...at the top of the pontoons. I was told that they used 12-volt underwater lights, and other lights, that plugged into the electrical outlet boxes.

How they kept water out of the outlet boxes I don't know!

Bill

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

I DONT own a pontoon, but i would stick with bearcat's advice. Start SLOW! Dont rush into your modifications, just to find out you should have done it differently, or wish you had done it differently. Fish out of it a few times, and figure out what you really want. Do it right the first time, and you'll have lots more time to fish, instead of redoing everything, and you'll most likely be happier with the finished product in the end.

Franklin
    Post Thanks / Like

Bought a 20' Bass Buggy DL last year that I'm in the final stages of a complete rebuild.

Stripped it to the deck, which I lucked out on... its aluminum. I used 4 gallons of Ultra Tuff epoxy non skid coating... this made an AWESOME floor covering. No carpet for me! I can just take a bucket of lake water and wash down the deck if need be.

The console was already in the center which is why I bought the boat. For fishing, having the room to walk AROUND the deck just makes it easier. Agreed also... toss the boat furnature, folding chairs work great because you can take only the amount you need and move them to any position in the boat. I had a local plastics company fabricate a new CUSTOM console out of some special PVC, they water jet the cutouts for all the dials and switch holes... best 500 bucks I've spent so far!

Working on a console Halo or T-top.. now sure what the official name is called but I'll mount lights, speakers and my fishfinder/gps on it.

My last big project is a nice table off the back over the engine for storage and fish cleaning.

Took all the rails off, stripped the old stickers and paint off... used OD green primer and looks really nice.

Just finished the new 30 gal gas tank and 30 gal bait tank install. Finally have a gas tank to last all weekend which has a sending unit. No more running to the back to check and see the level.

have 12 cabelas quick set rod holders added just this past weekend.

Can't wait to finish the electronics up soon. get the rest of the electrical hooked up. I have a honda quiet generator that will run some pretty awesome 500W flood lights.

By the time I'm done the only originally equipment will be aluminum frame, deck and rails... plus the motor.

Got any questions... feel free to shoot me a message.

Will C.
    Post Thanks / Like

got pics????sounds nice

Dan
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Koon... I'm afraid we're gonna need pictures of that bad boy. :wink:

Franklin
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll get some new one taken this weekend