Quantcast
Big Truman Dam Blues - The Bite Is ON!

In Memory of MRR

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Chris
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Big Truman Dam Blues - The Bite Is ON!

Hey folks.

I've been fishing at Truman Dam the last several days and the bigger blues
    are starting to bite regularly. I've caught several from 18 lbs to 35lbs and
    have seen a few in the 50 lbs range get caught too.

They've been starting to bite at about dusk or when they slow the output
    from the dam and continue well after midnight.

Bait is the normal story, freshly caught shad heads.

If you want to hook up and go fishing leave me a PM, I go almost every night.
    Remember to bring extra lead and hooks, you'll need them here!

Chris
    Post Thanks / Like

Just as a follow up, shortly after I made the previous post today I received the statewide fishing report from the MDC that I got a chuckle out of...

Truman Tailwaters: 80 degrees, dingy; all species slow. (Report made on 8/17/2005)

I wonder where they are getting their information at.. LOL.
    Good thing I don't live by life by their fishing reports!

*First Name Required*

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cats everywhere, here kitty kitty!

I fish the TD tailrace regularly myself. This year I have concentrated on the Grand River on Truman, and the Osage River which flows by my front door. Biggest fish this year, 78 lb. blue from Truman Lake. Biggest fish this year below TD, 56lb flathead. The MDC is wonderfull!!!!!!!! As long as they keep putting out those ridiculously poor forecasts I do not have to put up with the crowds.

I love to eat catfish.

Troy
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like us local benton county boys know better than watchin the fishin forecasts LOL. Nice fish dioedman! Nice fish Chris! Haven't been to the dam 4 about a week, looks like the weather may be getting them going again. I have been doing good on LOZ and the upper Osage. Give me a holler guys, well go give em a try. :0a23:

Gary Felkner
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

"Remember to bring extra lead and hooks, you'll need them here!"

Lol, I know that's right. Sounds like a great time to fish below Truman. What side do you fish on down there? I only get down there a few times a year, and I usually fish the right bank (right bank if you are facing downstream), as close to the dam as allowed. I've hooked into a couple of good fish there, but always snagged up in the rocks and lost them.

Troy
    Post Thanks / Like

Ya Gary, the west bledso ferry side is where I fish also. As close to the fence as possible down to the walk way seems to be where I have had the most luck. I use a 3 way swivel rig and put a lighter line on the weight leader. If you do snag you can usally keep the hook that way and get the fish in. As chris said, after they shut the turbins down at nite there is less current and less chances of getting hung up so bad.

Josh
    Post Thanks / Like

You guy's do any good from a boat? I always hated walking on rocks that are slippery.

Gary Felkner
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

Josh, there is a pretty big section below Truman Dam closed to boats. It's bank fishing only through there.

Chris
    Post Thanks / Like

Went to the dam again this morning (8/19) and caught a 13#, a couple 2#ers, and had another nice one get off.
    Was there from about 9AM-11AM (2 hours). Was getting steady bites the entire time.

The Hybrids were boiling the water pretty good too. Caught several 2-3#ers.
    Probably going to go again this evening when it cools off. It got HOT in a hurry out there today.

*First Name Required*

Post Thanks / Like

At 3:45 this morning at G16 on Truman we might have set a new state record for bluecats. My partner hooked an 88.5lb blue on an 8 foot Ugly Stick rigged with an Abu-Garcia 7000C3 loaded with 150lb. test. Bait was an alive bluegill allowed to swim free with no weights.

We pulled up anchor and let it pull us for almost 1/2 hour befoe we got it to the boat. It was an enormous old bull.

My fishing partner and I throw back anything under 20lbs. and do not keep anything over 50lbs. just so we can help keep the breeding stock of Truman Lake going.

Truman Lake has monsters in it and they only come out at night!

Bluegill are catfish candy.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast