Sangamon River is up again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Nick Ulbricht
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sangamon River is up again.

Macon co. I guess decided to finally open the spillway in southshores. The river is moving again and is up a couple of ft. We need a lot more rain this year than we got lost year or its time for a drought all over again.

Bo Arnold
    Post Thanks / Like

Sangamon, what part of the river do you fish. I live overe by the Altig Bridge area and fish both ways from Petersburg. I mostly fish the Ill. but like to start early on the Sang. Bo

Nick Ulbricht
    Post Thanks / Like

we usually move west
    from decatur

Bo Arnold
    Post Thanks / Like

Sang. I haven't ignored your PM but until I get 20 posts I can't access it to reply. We should get together this summer and give it a go. Being retired I can get away almost any time I want . Food for thought:)

Anthony

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spots on the Sangamon

SangamonCat,

Any success around Decatur? I lived there last year, and I've since moved to Indiana. I'm curious as to the degree of success that you've had. I've fished various places from Monticello to Springfield with varying degrees of success. Last year was frustrating, as with no water, I was unable to run my boat much below Decatur. Also, access is extremely limited from Decatur to Springfield. If the water is high, I liked to fish the area by Wyckles Road. I would walk quite a bit, both upstream and down. There's some really good spots upstream from the bridge. Also, there's a spot where Mechanicsburg Rd. crosses the river where you can put in a boat. No real ramp, but it's a sloped area of sand. From there you can run up about 2-3 miles before you reach a big riffle that you cannot go over (at least with a 20 HP motor :) ). This stretch had some good sand banks and rip rapped banks with deep water (10-13 ft.) and I caught some nice channels there early in the year. I fished near Riverton, with mild success, but it was early in the year and the water was up. A lot of people on that stretch. When the water was low, I ran into all kinds of trouble with my big motor again. My favorite place on the Sangamon to fish was upstream of Decatur. It's narrow, but it holds more water as the Lake Decatur dam holds it back. Access from Monticello to Decatur is tough (at least by boat) but there's some good water up there. I caught some nice channels and blues in that stretch along with a 15 pound drum. If you find my old bank poles, then you found the right spots, LOL. One thing is certain, I know there have to be some big cats in that river. It was frustrating that we didn't have the water last summer for me to go and get them!

Nick Ulbricht
    Post Thanks / Like

I have not had much success in the wycles road area that you speak of but, I know where you are talking about. Have you had any luck near allerton park(monticello). I know the spillway can be overcrowded but, have caught many there. I am looking to find some way to fish the piatt county area.

Anthony

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sangamon near Allerton

SangamonCat,

I've fished the Sangamon between Monticello and Allerton by boat. During the time I fished, I saw one other set of guys with a boat, and they were very friendly. If you're going to fish on the bank, be prepared to walk. If by boat, you can put in a Jon at the Bridge St. bridge outside of Monticello. Better have 4WD though, as it gets a bit messy :) . That's where I put in and had a lot of luck there. There are some decent holes downstream from there, and a lot of good cat structure. The problem is that there was a jam all the way across the river about 2 miles down from the bridge that prevented me from going downstream farther. I'm confident there's some great spots in there. I ran that stretch with my 20 HP motor and a 14 ft. jon without too much trouble. I would recommend a 12-14 ft. jon with a 5-15 HP motor though. The 20HP was a little big, and there were places where I touched bottom. Lots of hazards in this stretch too, including a large skid in the river the first corner down from Monticello. I caught a few nice flats there and a bunch of dandy channels. As for Allerton, I think they're very finicky about letting people fish in there. You could fish it with a boat, if you could get there, as I believe this stretch of the river is navigable (could be wrong). However, they have cyclone fence between the roads in Allerton and the river bank. I would recommend a copy of the Illinois Atlas and Gazetteer if you don't already have one. There are some roads that dead end near the river in Piatt county that can get you close to some good spots. I prefer to fish from a boat, so I didn't pursue that avenue too much, but there are a few opportunities for the bank fisherman if he's willing to walk. As always, be careful about private land. Wish I would have joined this site last year, I would have enjoyed having a fishing buddy from the area. Best of luck! Keep me posted on how you do! I KNOW there have to be some big kitties in that river.

Nick Ulbricht
    Post Thanks / Like

catmaster, hey I was just asking cuz' I met a landowner and his is the property right next to allerton park. So I walk in through his land and am gonna fish some real nice looking stuff this spring. I will keep you posted on he we do there.

Anthony

Post Thanks / Like

SangamonCat,

LakeLink says there's a 20 foot hole somewhere in Piatt county. If you could find water anywhere close to that deep, there's bound to be a big one there. I'll keep a lookout for your exploits. If I ever end up moving back to Decatur, I'd like to take a trip in the boat with ya sometime. Wouldn't hold my breath though, LOL. I don't expect my career to take me back to Decatur rock city for at least another 3-4 years. Best of luck in the Sangamon.

Nick Ulbricht
    Post Thanks / Like

LakeLink? Please elaborate, what is LakeLink? It sounds like something I want to view.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast