Artifact "Arrow Head" hunting in Oklahoma

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Billy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Artifact "Arrow Head" hunting in Oklahoma

I live in Northern Oklahoma and I do a considerable amount of arrowhead hunting in this area. If any you guys like to hunt for points and would like a new friend let me know.

J ROC
    Post Thanks / Like

me and my brother were fishing here (sw okla) and we found alot of arrow heads in a dried up creek bed, but we also go metal detecting and i have found alot of old stuff, we even found a arrow head with metal at the base i guess it was used to attach the arrow head to a shaft of some sort, but there are alot of indian camps out in the wildlife refuse

Billy

Post Thanks / Like

I would enjoy that baitfish. I am such a history freak I was studying the subject while attending OU and volunteered for a few digs. Arrowheads are my favorite artifact. I have a little Indian blood in my veins....my dad's 1/4. There are some awesome fields in KS (ok-ks border) I would like to get on but I dont know the owners to ask....or even where they live. I have been documenting all my finds in the bird creek basin and when I go back to school for my masters I am going to use this for my thesis.

Kris James
    Post Thanks / Like

My dad and I use to hunt for points more then we hunted anything else or fished for that matter,we use to go out every weekend,but since no plow farming its kinda hard to do anymore,we still went a bunch even after our old haunts stopped producing good points,we worked drainage ditces and erosion channels and also the river banks with some sucess but nothing like it use to be. boy i remember this one time we where walking these ditches near the river and i started pullen these broken dove tails and cache blades from the banks of the ditches and when i go tto the end of the ditch i was finding better points and blades,i bet we found 100 or so perfect points and blades that day. that same day i found my best ever point,still dont know what type of point it is but is huge,it looks like an over sized dove tail point about 11" long and as wide as my hand and it it is solid white,perfect point except for one small break but it sure does look good in a frame on the wall.........i have a pretty good collection as well and i have pics somewhere when i find em ill post em.

Billy

Post Thanks / Like

That is awesome madkater!!!! The coolest point I have were found in the desert in Nevada....they are obsidian points and very old. I have been finding a few calf-creek broken points over the past few years just right behind my house. I have a few preforms as well. I would look for point with an old man in Nevada and the lucky sucker found a cache with over 200 perfect points and other artifacts in a small cave the one time I did not go with him!!! I've yet to find my first cache but I have faith someday I will. I was camping of the Carney River last summer and we were setting lines when my trolling motor quit. So I hoped out and headed across a freshly plowed field to get to a road for an easier walk back to camp. Being the point hunter I am my head is always looking down and I picked up two pockets full of flakes, broken points, and preforms along with 2 perfect bird points. I did not know who the field belonged to so I did not have much time to look....but I'm gonna try and find out here real soon and attempt to go back. Have you ever found a flint hook? I have not but I know a lady who has 4....she said her brother dug them out of a cave!!!! thanks for sharing and get back out there and find some points brother!

Kris James
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL thats awsome.i use to dream about finding a cache inside of a cave or somthing that would be awsome,most of the caches found around here are usally found in muskrat holes and old creek beds lol. i dont have any flint hooks but i have seen them,a guy that use to set a booth up next to ours every year at the artifact show use to have cases full flint hooks and other rare items,I never thought to much of it until we got on the subject of his collection,i figured he got all his artifacts through bardering,as soon as he told me he found all of his collection and then he said he has only been hunting for a few years i knew either his pieces where fake or he was lieing to me.funny how fast flint ages in an oven ;).but yeah i hope to get out and do a lil this year,prolly wont go alot just enough to get my fix....have a goo done and keep me updated on your finds.

Jack Holsky
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello Guys. boy did you ever stir up old memories. I got what I have out and took some pictures for you. These represent the best of my collection.It's not very big,but has taken a life time to acquire.I don't trade or go to shows,just poke around in corn fields,from time to time. Eighty percent of these points and tools were found in the same field. Most are Coshocton flint,and chert.the colored ones are made from flint from Flint Ridge ridge, in licking county.I have those dreams too, but manage never to wake up with any! lol One is of some tools.scrapers and a few broken drills. very old blades in the next,and some finer points from different cultures from around here.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Billy

Post Thanks / Like

That's some nice stuff Jack! You have a celt, I have never found one! I have a decent little collection as well. The only points I have in my collection that I did not find were found by my grandfather who passed on years ago. I love arrowheads and looking for them. I enjoy looking at and studying other peoples' finds but I have never bought a point myself...I guess to me the value is in finding the point. Nothing wrong with someone buying them, I respect that. In fact, I would buy one from a place I cant get to...like one of those neat Japanese steel points or something from the bronze age. I found a new site not long ago that is an over hang-bluff with a few paintings on the wall and a large sandstone with corn grinding holes and cuts in the stone that appear to be there for shaft straightening and maybe making leather ropes....cat fishing and arrowhead hunting...does it get any better!!!!

Jack Holsky
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes it does Billy, just add in mushroom hunting.lol
    I have a lot of points with just a little damage,there ok by me but hardly perfect. We always want to find the best.It breaks my heart when I spy a point sticking straight up only to find its not all there, but then some times they are. To me there is nothing in this world like picking a work of art up knowing no human eye has seen it for Ten thousand years more or less.And cave drawings,wow if only I could see some of them.

Jim, a friend of mine was throwing rocks from the river bank one day,just farting around,he was picking up rocks not really looking at them and giving them a toss. He said at just the instant he was going to release it he felt an odd balance to it and decided to take a closer look.Sure enough it was a perfect ten inch banner stone!It has his name on it in a museum now. That would be cool huh.I always keep my eye open for gray slate.

Billy

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen 2 different banner stones.....one round, the other a butterfly type shape...But I have never found one. I have a buddy who found a drill point like your talking about. He found it and not 20 sec's after I found the most perfect little bird point. Even the broken points are neat to me. To be holding something in your hand that was made hundreds to thousands of years ago is a humbling experience to say the least. I'm easily excited....I freak out when I start finding heat treated flakes because that normally means your close to a good place. I found some pottery shards one time as well. The neatest experience I have ever had was looking for points in the Nevada desert. I was serving in the usaf and stationed at Nellis in LV. I worked on a "special project" in a little spot people like to refer to as "area 51". Groom lake project is what I knew it as. But any way, we tracked our way back to the gate in an attempt to watch some experimental jets fly over and I found an arrowhead made of jasper...this got me going. So I stayed the night in the desert and went exploring the next day. I saw something green in the distance and hiked down to it. It was a growth of cat tails and they were there because of a spring coming from the side of this hill. I knew this place was important so I checked it out. As I walked to the other side of the hill it looked as though the place was covered in broken black glass...it was obsidian and all over the surface. I picked up 2 garbage bags of the stuff and came out with about 10 perfect points and countless broken ones and others that appeared to be types of scrappers...the things are still razor sharp...Oh man, if you ever find yourself in Vegas or Reno, do yourself a favor and drive to the little town of Racheal and just get out and look. You can see old dried out lake beds and I would find stuff there all the time. That is how I think though, my family wants to go to Vegas and do the normal Vegas thing and I want to go to the desert and find arrowheads haha!!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast