Asfidity Question

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brian
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Asfidity Question

I do not know if Asfidity is still being sold in the U.S. anymore.....I am wanting to make some bait/chum using this stuff. The only thing I know this stuff was used for was a wives tale to keep you from getting sick.

I know that catfish are attracted to it and was wondering if anybody know anything about this stuff.....as to where to get it, or if it is even legal?

FISH ON!

Big Sam
    Post Thanks / Like

Default attractants

I think it is spelled asefedia...any way that is close...Yes you can get at your local pharmacy...They will probably have to order it....takes a couple of days..I use it for maranation purposes sometimes.. :)

Jason Boyle

Post Thanks / Like

What exactly is asefedia? I have never heard of it...

chad
    Post Thanks / Like

Asafoetida gets its name from the Persian aza, for mastic or resin, and the Latin foetidus, for stinking. It is a gum that is from the sap of the roots and stem of the ferula species, a giant fennel that exudes a vile odour. Early records mention that Alexander the Great carried this “stink finger” west in 4 BC. It was used as a spice in ancient Rome, and although not native to India, it has been used in Indian medicine and cookery for ages. It was believed that asafoetida enhanced singers voices. In the days of the Mughal aristocracy, the court singers if Agra and Delhi would eat a spoonful of asafoetida with butter and practice on the banks of the river Yamuna.

Jason Boyle

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Chad! I had no idea what it was...

chad
    Post Thanks / Like

hahaha neither did i. i did a google search of it and pulled up tons of data, what i cut and posted was the info from some random webpage. from what i could tell, its available from some herb and spice importers. google it the way its spelled in my post and lots will pop up.

Frank
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Asfidity Question

I remember some carp fishermen talking about it. Pretty expensive, and VERY SMELLY, hard to get rid of the odor. A very little went a long way.

Ernie
    Post Thanks / Like

Dang Chad,I was fixin to ask you if you worked for NASA? :p Ole'James Caan,mixed some in that potion he made for Robert Mitchum in the movie
    "El Dorado",to make him quit drinking.
    Ernie

Jerry Trew
    Post Thanks / Like

It ain't all that bad. Now, a spoonful of sugar soaked in coal oil (kerosene to you Yankees) is nasty.

mike
    Post Thanks / Like

kerosene with sugar? my grandmother had a "secret potion" for a sore throat, it was a spoonfull of kerosene and a drop of honey. she said to gargle it and spit it out. never had the $#@# to do it. anyone heard of that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast