Catfish River Boat Setup

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dan
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Catfish River Boat Setup

I'm still in the early stages of setting up my pontoon for river boating and river catfishing. What are some things that you wouldn't be without when you're out catfishing. I've got a new chene anchor and anchor line on the way. I lost my other anchor wrestling Darryl1's boat in the current. Needed a new one anyways. :smile2: I'm also getting some heavier anchor line.

When I was below the dam last Saturday.... They must have opened the gates to clear some debris. I looked up the river towards the dam and the whole river was filled with debris. So we sprang into action getting our lines out of the water. By the time we got our lines out, the debris had reached us already. And we still had to pull up our anchor. A tree about 6" in diameter by about 15 or 20 feet struck our anchor line. This knocked the anchor loose and sent us down with the current. Then of course, this same tree wedged itself in between my toons. So I couldn't start the outboard to steer clear of the debris until we finally got the tree out from underneath the boat.

I'm thinking I need an anchor bouy for those few times when you just need to get out of the way.

What other items am I going to miss not having with me out there?

Dan

Charles Parrish
    Post Thanks / Like

a large push poll , gorila glue , duct tape , of course all the normal gear life jackets and such , extra clothes , toilet paper , a bucket , extra rope , water proof matches , rain gear , a knife every 3 feet , a gps , leather gloves

all this is on my 16' river jon plus all my rods and tackle

Darryl
    Post Thanks / Like

Let me see.......

Of course I can't think of a thing right now.

• A quality, large sized dip net but not so big its always in the way.
    • A good cast net, as large as you can comfortably throw, practice, practice, practice.
    • VHF Marine Radio with weather stations (they all have that probably).
    • Sturdy Rod Holders, Driftmasters, maybe the 1/2" ones since I broke a 3/8" last week.
    • Sonar with GPS Navigation, spend the extra money to get the unit with the mapping software.
    • Comfortable life jackets so you will wear them.
    • Anchor buoy system
    • Drift bucket, homemade, see Doc Lange's thread
    • Plenty of cleats
    • Bigger Fenders than what I bought! They don't work too well if they are too small.
    • A quality Bait Tank system is on my wish list.
    • A BIG livewell, portable if you don't have one built-in already.
    • First aid kit
    • Tools
    • Spare Fuses and bulbs for everything on your boat and trailer.
    • A decent scale that goes up tp at least a 100lbs
    • A list of phone numbers, Emergency and do you know who you'll call if you catch the next Missouri record?
    • There is more, you caught me off guard.
    Hope this helps.

Michael "Malichi" Butler
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Dan, don't know how you deal with your anchor rope. But, I went fishing with a fellow BOC member on his boat and he had a great way of dealing with it. He used a electric cord holder, one of the round ones with the handle in the middle. Kept all his rope wound up and out of the way, he just rolled off what he needed, tied off tot a cleat and set the rest off to the side. He put and hook on the end of his rope that he just clipped on the anchor when he got it out and then up clipped it when he put it away.

Uh OH....maybe I shouldn't of revealed that secret. :roll_eyes:

Darryl
    Post Thanks / Like

That reel trick might work really well, I don't know.

What I learned in expert climber training is to just lay your rope into a bag wherever it may fall, just feed it in there. It will come out tangle free everytime. When people try to coil it is when they have trouble. I bought an anchor bag at bass pro and thats what I use, it works great.

That reel might work good also but I see some potential problems when you need or want line to pay out quickly such as dropping anchor.

Oh, and I don't even mess with the bag when I am working my rope throughout the day (some rope remains in the bag). I do use the same technique though of piling it on top of itself as I pull it in onto the forward deck.

Then rope into the bag, then the bag into the forward locker for storage.

Michael "Malichi" Butler
    Post Thanks / Like

It actually worked very well for letting out line quickly. the handle on the inside stayed stationary while the wheel that the rope is wrapped around moves around the handle letting the rope off as fast as it wants to go.

tim
    Post Thanks / Like

my boat has a anchor storage just put the rope in and it comes out the same way never had any tangles works for me

Brad Kilpatrick
    Post Thanks / Like

a 5 gallon bucket works pretty darn well and is super cheap.

Marty

Post Thanks / Like

I keep my anchor rope and anchor in an old milk crate. Better than a 5-gal bucket since it doesn't hold water. The crate sits on my front deck and I just plop the line in it as I take up the anchor, very seldom have any problems with tangled line.

I'm thinking I need an anchor bouy for those few times when you just need to get out of the way.
    Be careful - that's a good way to lose an anchor, rope and buoy - depending on the size of the buoy and the amount of current, the whole thing is likely to disappear under the water never to be seen again... It's happened to at least a few folks I know...

One thing I'd recommend that nobody has mentioned is the "Gripper" style cleats - those are the kind where you zig-zag your anchor rope in the teeth of the cleat, making it very easy to un-do the rope in a hurry. Here's an example of what I'm talking about:
    http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...allpartial/0/0

And finally, I've purchased no less than 3 "really big" dip nets, only to find that my idea of "really big" is nowhere near big enough for when you get a true hawg on the line. My latest net, however, is "really really big" and when I catch something that won't fit in it, that'll be a great problem to have. My point is, buy a dip net that looks ridiculously huge - because eventually it won't look quite so huge...

Darryl
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.T View Post
    And finally, I've purchased no less than 3 "really big" dip nets, only to find that my idea of "really big" is nowhere near big enough for when you get a true hawg on the line. My latest net, however, is "really really big" and when I catch something that won't fit in it, that'll be a great problem to have. My point is, buy a dip net that looks ridiculously huge - because eventually it won't look quite so huge...

Marty I agree with you there. I have what seems like a really huge net but when it came time to boat both of my 50+ pounders this year I just lipped them with my hands. To have a bigger net on board seems a little comical to me plus a big pain in the a$$. I'll probably regret not having one someday. It helps to have someone on board with you when net time comes, especially in the current, hard to handle the fish, and the net all at once with a big cat. At least for me.

Oh yeah, the milk crate is a great idea!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast