How to rig a bluegill for bass?

chris erwin

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to rig a bluegill for bass?

hello brothers i was thinking one day while fishing i saw a big bass olny eating blue gills no shad but i dont know how to rig one please tell good fishing and god bless:wink:

Will

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gill Riggin

I take 2-3 inch gills and a #4 hook and hook them right thru the eyes, then I take one of those big ol bobbers and set it about 1 or 1 1/2 deep and throw it right up on bank and drag towards me in the evening when the whoppers are on the prowl!!!:big_smile:

Wes
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're not fishing in any current, I'd just hook it through the back just behind the dorsal fin and then put it under a bobber at whatever depth you see them at. Also you can just throw the thing out there with no weight or bobber. This works really well when you can see the bass sitting there or if it's actively feeding. Hope some of this works for ya.

Gary
    Post Thanks / Like

In chunks.....:wink:

Conrad
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ellusive 'gills...

I like to fish them on a "free line" with no weight or bobber. However, if you are fishing around a lot of weeds, put a smaller hook through the nose from inside the mouth out, without pinning the lips together. This uses your line sort of as a block so they can't get back into the weedline as easy as if the hook were farther back on the body. Some of my biggest bass ever came off live 'gills fished this way, including my first bass over 7lbs. that was caught in Iowa, and my very first N.C. bass.

Winston
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by FATFLATTIE View Post
    If you're not fishing in any current, I'd just hook it through the back just behind the dorsal fin and then put it under a bobber at whatever depth you see them at. Also you can just throw the thing out there with no weight or bobber. This works really well when you can see the bass sitting there or if it's actively feeding. Hope some of this works for ya.
    I would agree with that. They are a great bass bait...W
    No good deed goes unpunished
    I use and recommend Monster Rod Holders & Wild Wolf Tackle

Jerry
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FATFLATTIE View Post
    I too agree, except that I put the hook about an inch in front of the dorsal fin. Seems to result in more hook ups on Bass.

James .N

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Chris ..Before listining to any of the above advice make sure it is legal to use bluebill as bait !!!!As a lot of state's consider it a game fish.:wink:

Patrick Courtney
    Post Thanks / Like

through the back behind the dorsal fin