Skipjack Herring

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Larry Raines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Skipjack Herring

What bait companies sell frozen shipjack herring. I am having no luck in catching them on the Wabash river near Terre Haute In.

Eric
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Larry,

I have never seen them for sale by anyone but a bait shop. I sure hope someone gets on here and has a place to buy them from other than the bait shop. They are killer bait for blues! Maybe the best?

If you fish the spillways on the Ohio in the spring, you can catch enough skippies for the whole year.

Sorry I couldn't help any!

Larry Raines
    Post Thanks / Like

I would not mind buying some from a bait shop if I could but no one here in Terre Haute IN carries or even acts like they can get them. You can bet next spring I am taking a trip some where to get enough of them to last all year. Thanks for the reply.

Kirk

Post Thanks / Like

there is a bait shop in kansas city that sells skipjack, a package with five whole fish about 12" long frozen for $30.00, to rich for me. I would like to find a place to catch enough for the year within reach.

JW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cat tamer View Post
    there is a bait shop in kansas city that sells skipjack, a package with five whole fish about 12" long frozen for $30.00, to rich for me. I would like to find a place to catch enough for the year within reach.
    Man, that is highway robbery!!!! I can garuntee you this much, they had better be vacuum sealed and done the right way for that price!
    I went yesterday and caught 156 skips between 6" and 8" long and all it cost me was about 5.00 in gas and some time! I will most likely get some more next weekend cause they should be about 2" longer by then.

TIM
    Post Thanks / Like

I went yesterday and caught 156 skips between 6" and 8" long and all it cost me was about 5.00 in gas and some time! I will most likely get some more next weekend cause they should be about 2" longer by then.[/QUOTE]

so when is JWs wholesale bait opening? hum

Joe Lutey
    Post Thanks / Like

Check Westside bait and tackle they had some a couple of weeks ago. Also, Kings bait and tackle in mooresville has whole frozen skipjack sometimes as well.

Jayson Hamblen
    Post Thanks / Like

ive tried everything and fished for them everywhere people have given me advice about and ive come to the conclusion that they just arnt as abundant here or they just plain dont exsist. i to have wanted to try them but cant get ahold of anyone. if you do find a place let me kno so i can get some to lol

Eric
    Post Thanks / Like

West Side has them right now for $6 for two big ones.

Max Howard
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

catch your own! fresh is alot better than frozen. get mushy and lose the oils when frozen. they definately can be hard to come by. fish sunrise or sunset, they won't hit in the middle of the day usually. if you guys really want them bad enough, there is a baitshop in Warsaw, KY (right across the Markland Dam) called Sargeant Sissies. They sell them, cheap! a bag with 5-6 skippies sized 6-12 inches will run 3 bucks. The old lady goes fishing for them alot of days. I have the best system, i trade her FRESH skippies (not frozen, caught that day) for crappie fillets. It works great!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast