Why do dogs rub and lay on gross bugs and dead stuff?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tina
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Why do dogs rub and lay on gross bugs and dead stuff?

Just a question...my to little dogs found a dead stinky rotten snake and the two dogs were rubbing and rolling on top of the gross thing...
    I've notice that they do it to crikets and bugs...
    anybody have an answer? :confused2:

JW

Post Thanks / Like

Because they think it makes them smell good!!!!

ACA Sucks!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default JW uses cologne

JW is right. A lot of a dogs brain is its nose. Some would argue just how many brains they have left after that part is taken care of. If you watch them when they roll they try and get the smell on their backs, especially between their shoulders or on their necks, not on their legs or belly.

Now watch another dog, yours or somebody elses walk up to them. They will approach from the front or in a little circle from the front. After some facial and ear movements have occurred and they think it is safe they will sniff from the front back to the rear end. That smell your guys have on them from what they have rolled in plus their "den" smells identifies them and indicates a certain "rank". No pun intended.

So, if you really love your dogs, the next time you see a dead coon in the road bring it home. Throw it out in the backyard for the flies a couple of days. Then let your little guys out for the treat of their lives.

John
    Post Thanks / Like

We use to have a little rat terrier that everytime my wife gave it a bath the dog would run to the neighbors pasture and roll in cow manure untill it's whole body was green. That little critter became an outside dog:roll_eyes:

Cheez

Pat Powell
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Postbeetle

I truly appreciate your medical knowledge on this question as I too have often wondered why dogs do this! As for get some road kill and placing it in my yard for my dogs to have a "treat',thanks but no thanks.We use to have a Golden Retriever who dearly loved to do this.He found a dead cat and rolled in it.Came in the house(I'm a huge dog lover,and want my dogs in the house with me) and the smell was so bad it almost run us out.It may be a normal thing for them to do but it's a :bad_smelly::bad_smelly::bad_smelly: thing for them to do!!!::ooooh:SisterPat

Matt Smith
    Post Thanks / Like

LMAO! Once one of my dogs rolled in what was apperently a dead bird. The decayed bird was black, and the dog was black, so when I let him in the house, naturally I petted him, and much to my dismay, I got all that black goo on my hand. I almost barfed. LMAO!:ooooh:

Lawrence

Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

I don't "know" but I suspect it is a behavior left over from their "wolf" days. Perhaps an attempt to disguise their smell from prey.

JW

Post Thanks / Like

PUPPY COLOGNE, LOL!!!

Jonathan
    Post Thanks / Like

the answer is, they're dogs.

unlike cats which use their tongues to clean themselves - even their rear ends.

Pat Powell
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Another thing?

What issssssss this thing with grass? No not funny weed for you comics out there.Take the dogs out,and next thing I know they eating grass like cattle. I want to get in there faces and asked them if they're confused???? They don't have horns on their heads that I can see,and I sure ain't heard no cow bark!!! Better never either if ya all know what I mean.................:confused2::crazy:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast