Quantcast
Okuma reels good or bad - Page 2

In Memory of MRR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Dwight Pennington

Post Thanks / Like

I have Okuma Avenger 20's for spinning reels....They've been good to me.....But, as you know, the baitcasting world is a whole different ballgame....I was looking at the Penn 320GT2 at Cabela's the other night....Bought another Abu 7000iC3 instead....Just can't seem to get away from those 7000 Abu's.....Dwight

Alfred Price-Williams
    Post Thanks / Like

Default More Bull manure than truth in advertising?

Quote Originally Posted by willyray07 View Post
    whats everyones opinion on okuma reels vs. your favorite brand i own many abu garcia 6500's and an okuma 45 series let em know what u think
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheez View Post
    I don't own an Okuma baitcaster but have looked at a few in stores. They have the look of a good reel but they seem pretty loose like their tolerances are not quite up to par. A lot of folks use them I guess because of the price. I wonder if there are any parts available for them. That is what I look for when purchasing a reel that I may keep for life.

Cheez
    I have had Okuma CD90's spinning reels for several years now.I think they are like the Okuma EZ90 Eclipz except with the "Bait feeder".I don't get to use them much but I love them.They seem to be built like the old heavy Penn spinners that you can no longer buy.I had no trouble ordering 3 spare spools for them.The surprise was that I got 3 spare aluminum spools complete with drags for about the price of one of the Penn or Shimano spools for the equivalent size reel.Now the question is will my grandson be able to buy parts 30-50 years from now from Okuma,Penn or Abu Garcia?That I don;t know.I love the stainless steel guts in this model that are sealed with a gasket against water.The great drag is also sealed.I like the combination of bushings,roller and ball bearings in all of the "right places" if you have to have them.The purchasing of and rebuilding of old reels seems to be at a all time high so that you can get a good reel with all bushings that will continue to last. Now I would like it better if it was all bushings for heavy duty reels.I also like my Penns and my Shimato Charter Special 2000 LD,with lever drag and level wind which I think is a perfect Big Catfish reel.The lever drag can be operated like a bait feeder reel and has one of the best drags of all in my opinion.They advertise a whopping 33 lbs.max.drag for this reel.The last I heard some of the pros.were only setting the drags to 27 lb.with 130 lb. line to compete in the stand up offshore tournaments.Only time will answer the questions we all have about the modern made reels.Every brand that I know of is doing it way different now.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

Brandon Brewer
    Post Thanks / Like

(cl 300l) as far as comparing it to my favorite i cant because its one of my favorites. It gets used as much as my more $$$ reels true its not the smoothest of the fleet but it gets the job done without any problems. And like others said the clickers arent the best (dont use um anyway).

Angel
    Post Thanks / Like

I have an Okuma Avenger 65 bought it two summers ago. After about the fourth use the bail started jamming on me.(maybe a dud ?)I took it apart and repaired it myself it uses a cheap mechanism to lift the bail doesnt snap back by itself . It has been sitting in the basement since. I cant justify bringing it out then it breaking on me. It was a pretty smooth reel the few times I used it. I been skeptical about buying another Okuma product. Plus the plastic that holds the bail part is bit on the thin side not as bad as some others though. It was the first time I ever bought a reel outside of my normal brand. (Shimano) I needed a big spinning reel for the few times I go surf fishing or tackle on bigger game flats, carp etc. I will soon be in need of another big spinning reel my Sahara 8000 is starting to show signs of wear maybe next summer though. ( it was bought used and was already slightly worn. :roll_eyes:

Alfred Price-Williams
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My reel thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardipr05 View Post
    I have an Okuma Avenger 65 bought it two summers ago. After about the fourth use the bail started jamming on me.(maybe a dud ?)I took it apart and repaired it myself it uses a cheap mechanism to lift the bail doesnt snap back by itself . It has been sitting in the basement since. I cant justify bringing it out then it breaking on me. It was a pretty smooth reel the few times I used it. I been skeptical about buying another Okuma product. Plus the plastic that holds the bail part is bit on the thin side not as bad as some others though. It was the first time I ever bought a reel outside of my normal brand. (Shimano) I needed a big spinning reel for the few times I go surf fishing or tackle on bigger game flats, carp etc. I will soon be in need of another big spinning reel my Sahara 8000 is starting to show signs of wear maybe next summer though. ( it was bought used and was already slightly worn. :roll_eyes:
    I have seen a lot posted all over the web about the Okuma Avenger.Most of it by dissatisfied owners.I am very satisfied with the Okuma Coronado CD 90's.so far.I called and asked the Okuma folks what was the toughest spinning reel that they made.They said the Coronado CD 90.I called their service dept. and got the same answer.Now that was several years ago.I don;t know what answer I would get now.I was a mechanic for over 40 years.I always checked with the people that repair things before I buy if I can.They always know what they have to fix the most and the least.I just wish that I could catch something besides Bowfin on them.They are built tuff.If I got to have ball bearings,I want them Stainless steel and with seals to make them last as long as possible.I once got to talk about reels with the Penn man.I mention that I operated my bails manually and always opened one with the line roller up whether casting or just dropping it down to the bottom.He said they would all last better that way in his opinion.That big "clunk" of it closing when you turn the handle just don;t sound gentle to me.Now anything that you surf fish with you are quickly turning into garbage no matter how good it is.That fine grit is eating it while the salt corrodes it.The best just last longer.I have a old Daiwa 7000c reel that I used hard offshore in saltwater and is still A-OK.I think that I have had it for over 25 years.They just don;t make it anymore or I would have gotten them. I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

Angel
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information pee-wee. I have heard similiar complaints about the Avenger on the net also. As far as the surf-fishing didnt even get to use the Avenger for that purpose(it locked up on before I had a chance) and I may only go two or three times a year to the shore a year.

:0a24: Good idea about asking the service department which reels they repair the most or least.

Ty

Post Thanks / Like

I had two Okuma spinning reels that I bought and sold last year after I discoverd some quirks with them.

Kevin
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the Okuma spinning reels but not their baitcasters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12