Quantcast
Stuck Arrow

In Memory of MRR

Thread: Stuck Arrow

Rob Mckay
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Stuck Arrow

I bought some carbon arrows for my old PSE Polaris the other day and really like how they shoot but I had to give up on shooting my "deer" target because they get jammed in and are extremely difficult to remove. I shot one in it the other day and ended up having to suspend the target in the air by the arrow and beat the target off the arrow with a rubber mallet. It still took several hard blows with the mallet. Has anyone else had this problem with the McKensie deer targets and carbon shafts? What is the solution?

The deer is about 3 years old and hasn't been shot at very much.

Troy
    Post Thanks / Like

Sgt, I know when I did a lot of 3-d shoots we had all mckenzie targets. They are difficult to pull out. We carried a arrow puller, rubber foam thing that wraps around the arrow to pull them out. I think they do sell some stuff you can apply to the arrow shaft to make them pull out easier.

Troy
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Try This

Arrow Removal Information
    Extracting arrows from targets has been a problem for many years. Problems exist in all types of backstop materials-foam, grass mats, cardboard and excelsior bales. Today, one of the most popular materials is high-density foam. To repetitively impact a foam target with today's high-speed arrows, the material must be tear resistant, flexible and high-density. Depending on the equipment and weather conditions, all types of arrows are sometimes difficult to remove. Carbon arrows are generally most difficult to remove from all types of backstop material. The small size of the shaft makes them more difficult to grip. The increased speed and rough surface generates more friction inside the target materials. This reaction translates to heat buildup and can actually bond material to the carbon shaft surface.
    Several things can be done to aid in aluminum and especially carbon arrow removal in 3-D targets. The use of an arrow puller will enable the archer to grip the small shafts much better. The thicker and bigger the material, the more power you can generate to remove arrows. Treating the point and first 4- to 5-inches of the arrow shaft with a friction reducing lubricant will decrease heat build up and greatly aid in easy arrow removal. Our tests prove that lubricants with higher silicone content work the best. Depending on conditions, the treatment may have to be done every 3 to 5 shots. For best results with carbon arrows during cold weather, a combination of gripper and lube is recommended. The use of silicone lubricants on carbon and aluminum arrows has been professionally tested and proven not to affect arrow velocity or accuracy.

CAUTION: Always be careful pulling arrows. If several people are helping remove arrows, be sure not to stand directly behind the nock-end. When a hard-to-pull arrow breaks loose and comes out quickly, someone could be hurt by the nock-end. Think safety when shooting and removing arrows.

john fincher
    Post Thanks / Like

good post spoon,but are you shooting your 3-d target with broadheads and are you praticing with the arrows you hunt with? i wouldn't think i would want some kind of lubricant in my fresh meat.....

Danny Neldon
    Post Thanks / Like

Rob, carbon express puts out a lube. I think its just called carbon express arrow lube. Its around 10 dollars and it works. Before i started using it i would have to put my foot against the target and pull it out. Now they slide right out with no problems. It even helps to pull it out of my shop if i miss. :glare:

Charlie
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing worse than a carbon arrow in a frozen McKenzie........something is going to get broke :eek:

What we used to do back in my 3-D days.........soap, a bar of soap...........rub it on the front 6-8" of arrow and you'll be good to go. The little "motel" bars were mighty handy........just store it in a small ziplock bag.

Rob Mckay
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I heard about the bar soap trick today at work. I will give it a try when things dry up around here.

Eric East
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, a bar of ivory soap works VERY well. We use when shooting 3-D

Eric