Thread: Trinity River

Michael
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Trinity River

Anybody ever fish the Trinity River?

Pat Muckelroy

Post Thanks / Like

Default trinity river

I have not fished this river, but I go to Richland/chambers lake not far from the trinity. I hear the Trinity is a good catfish and gar river. I have caught flatheads up to 72 lbs from Richland/chambers and blues up to 38 lbs. Lots of good areas to fish. I use live perch almost all the time. I always say I am going to try the Trinity and the Brazos and never have. Give us a report after your trip as I would like to know about any hazardous conditions that may be present and how best to fish it. Pat Muckelroy

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

As much as possible. The big tourney is June 1st from fort Anahuac. Hoping to fish that too!:lol:

Ray Weeks
    Post Thanks / Like

I fish the Trinity all the time. I Fish around Liberty and have for years. I chase after catfish, bass and of course gar. I'm a avid bowfisherman for gar. A perfect weekend would be running line all weekend while camping on the sand bar and gar fishing during the day!!!

James Hughes
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive fished the elm fork of the trinity river alot around lewisville

Joseph

Post Thanks / Like

I use to fish the Trinity River a lot. I liked below the dam, years ago. The problem with the Trinity is it is not a boat ramp friendly river. To expensive and to hard to get a boat in. If you get in you are going to catch fish.
    Joseph

josh
    Post Thanks / Like

Well it depends on were you live on the river. There are alot of bans on eating fish you catch out of the river in certain parts. There is not alot of good fishing in the dallas area. Further south closer to lake livingston is a better bet, but you have to pay attention to the fishing bans on eating them. I used to work for the trinity river authority and they have seen many volatile chemicals in the fish tissue in the river. I have personally seen 20 lb gar floating belly up around ennis and corsicana areas. I would be careful with what i eat. But if you just want to catch and release on thr river stay south of the dallas area to catch quality fish.

James Hughes
    Post Thanks / Like

the elm fork is free of chemicals ive fished it for years and have been eatting fish from it for years never gotten sick i was told that the LLELA park the fish where tested and came up clean and its north of dallas

josh
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not saying that all fish on the river are unedible but really most fish south of the metroplex I would nto advise eating. Right now in segments 841 and 841a on the river have issuses with legacy pollutants (i.e. PCBs and Chlroinated pesticdes). These pollutants come form urban runoof from fertilizers and pesticides. These are not good for you to be eating. The chemicals are in the fish tissue, and after a prolonged intake of the chemicals you can get certain types of cancer and other illnesses. If you stay north of the metroplex you should be fine. The problem is the river in those areas is not very big. The river actually orignates from water runoff across a gravel road up in far north texas. The river gets much wider south of the metroplex, problem is all the contamination from the cities and people who live in the cause the fish to have these pollutants in there fish tissue. All I am saying is be careful, fishing is suposed to be fun not do damage to your health.

Jerry Fletcher
    Post Thanks / Like

From the Trinity River Lock and Dam downsteam, the fish are safe to eat. Acutally, in much of the other parts of river, there isn't necessarily a ban on eating the fish, but advisories about contaminants. Below Lake Livingston, there's not much to pollute the water as it makes it way to the bay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast