how to make a sabiki rig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    dusty endsley
    Post Thanks / Like

Default how to make a sabiki rig

i was wondering how y'all make a sabiki rig because i do not want to spend the money to by em

Bruno

Post Thanks / Like

They cost something like two bucks. Man....and I thought I was a tightwad!

The sabiki rigs fall under the umbrella rig law in Tennessee. Better make sure you're legal when fishing them. Also, when you buy them, with some brands, the larger the number, the bigger the hook. Other brands, the larger the number, the smaller the hook.

Robb

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

One of our sponsor here on BOC....Catfish Connection sells them. And yes, they are pretty cheap.

dusty endsley
    Post Thanks / Like

it's not that i am a tight wad but i like making things myself i was just wanting guideance because i would love to learn how to make em

Pete Kildow
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

I have talked with TWRA, And the wardens. And they all tell me that they are not in the class of a umbrella rig. AS the Umbrella rig has a wire frame with jigs hanging off it.
    Sure wish they(TWRA would clear this up) would do a better job then throwing everything in a pile when they pass a law.
    PEte

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy
    They cost something like two bucks. Man....and I thought I was a tightwad!

The sabiki rigs fall under the umbrella rig law in Tennessee. Better make sure you're legal when fishing them. Also, when you buy them, with some brands, the larger the number, the bigger the hook. Other brands, the larger the number, the smaller the hook.
    Wild Wolf Products Fishing Tackle
    Need Hooks?
    Home of the Kat Bobber
    http://Wildwolfproducts.com

USCA STAFF
    Bryan Shrum
    Post Thanks / Like

I have asked them here on the river and gotten the same answer. But the way it's written up in the regs leaves you wide open for a ticket. I catch enough on curly tails that I don't worry about them anymore. And I have about 12 or 13 packs of them in my tackle bag. I sent you a PM Dusty.
    Member since July 2002
    Staff member since September 2003
    Retired Army - 1975 -1995

Mark Haught

Post Thanks / Like

The baitfish I catch on the curly tails at the steamplant are always the pretty big skipjack. I see the guys on the bank catching the much smaller skipjack on what appears to be a sabiki rig. The striper seem to prefer the smaller skipjack. Maybe my lures are just a tad to big. I went on the net and found sabiki rigs and the don't cost much but the lures look kinda specific in how they are built. Gonna find some tomorrow after work for weekend baitfishing.

Kevin Ogilvie
    Post Thanks / Like

I made some myself by using some small shimmer jigs from B.P.S. Just tied a snap swivel to the bottom to attach a sinker, tied dropper loops about 6" long about 10-12 " apart and a barrel swivel at the top. Only used 3 jigs, hopefully to avoid tangles. Haven't used them yet but I'm confident they'll work. :rolleyes:

dusty endsley
    Post Thanks / Like

thANKS alot CAT

Bruno

Post Thanks / Like

From the TWRA website:

Umbrella rig restriction - Umbrella rigs are defined as an array of more than 3 artificial lures or baits (with or without hooks) used by a single rod and reel combination. If the hook size is 6 or larger, then only one lure or bait may have a hook and that hook must be a single hook.

I know what most people call umbrella rigs are on a wire frame, but the TWRA rules don't say anything about that.

I have fished with a sabiki rig a few times but always cut off all but 3 hooks. Personally, I think 2 or 3 crappie jigs spaced about a foot apart works just as good or better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast