Flathead catfish spawning season

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ryan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flathead catfish spawning season

when and where do flatheads spawn- do they do it in the flats sor deep water or what? and when i'm fishing for them, what approach should i use?

Josh Davidson
    Post Thanks / Like

flatheads can be found in many places while spawning. Log jams, under cut banks, anywhere thay can have good protection around them. I don't fish for them while they are spawning, so someone else will have to tell you how to catch them. Pre-spawn, on the other hand, is an excellent time to go after them. They will start feeding heavily once water temps reach 50 degrees. You can catch them cruising banks around bluegill or crappie beds.

Red Kellogg
    Post Thanks / Like

Here in S.E. KS, they'll head up from grand lake into spring and neosho rivers. Early in the season when they're on the run (still a little early right now, but it's gettin' CLOSE:big_smile:) they'll be up at the dams. Most of the flats here tend to be caught right up against it. Everyone also uses live bluegill, but you can sometimes get lucky and catch one or two off fresh cut shad, although I've never personally accomplished that feat. Then, when they 'magically' disapear from the dams, that's when they're spawning. Find the biggest nasties snags you can just a little ways back down river. The deeper and darker the better. Although deep for me means no more than fifteen feet. But, they'll spawn in three feet of water if need to. Put your bait right in that snag and hold on. Move every thirty minutes or so if no bites. (cutbait works well at this specific time, although livebait ALWAYS works). If the river you're fishing is shallow, you can wade from place to place, which is personally what I like to do the best. But, a boat will cover more area and faster. They say monofilament works good for those snags. More abrasion resistance. Although I've only used mono....it's cheaper:roll_eyes:. There's also different strategies for catchin' flatties in the library. Check it out. Lots of good info. Anyway, I hope this has helped ya out.

-Red

Ryan

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Red whenever i noodle thats what i'll do but i dont usually go any deeper than 6 feet bcasue who know how big that flattie will be

Red Kellogg
    Post Thanks / Like

Well...I just assumed you fished a river...sorry 'bout that. I ain't got any personal experience or wisdom about a lake, but I'd assume it's generally the same concept except for them running to the dam at prespawn. I'd prolly just stick to the shallow nasty snags there. And maybe try some larger feeder creeks (you can do that with the river too). 'Luck with the spawning flatties.

-Red

Ryan

Post Thanks / Like

well when i go out to melevern(resivor in Ottowa KS) to fish the crappie spawn, in the back end of the lake thers some nice flats with some nice creeks that continuously feed the lake, and i'll use ome barely legal sized crappie and fish him live at night in the flats and i caught a nice 15# flatty that way last year and thanks for your info
    Ryan

Ryan

Post Thanks / Like

Red i was wonderin what kinda rig you use (like a carolina, or a slip bobber rig) off the riverdam and do you fish in the breakwater or right in the current?
    Thanks, Ryan

Red Kellogg
    Post Thanks / Like

I always use a carolina rig on bottom, with enough weight to keep it in place. Although for the brush there's probably better ways to go about it than that. Anyway, I just wade in front of the dam and cast right in front of me in the current. As long as it's litterally landing against the dam, I don't think it matters too much. But, if the water's rushing too fast for any weights you got, then leave it in the hole it rolls into. I've caught a couple blues in those.
    When the water's up, it's hard to get your footing on the moss covered rocks, but I ain't gotta boat can handle the river. Otherwise, I'd be in one in that particular case...lol. We don't have any current breaks on the dam I fish. It's just a low-head dam. Nothing big and fancy. But, if you fish one that is, it'd be a place to try. Just be sure to let me know your results:roll_eyes:. Anymore questions, just holler. I'll get back with you soon as I can.

-Red

Ryan

Post Thanks / Like

thanks man i'm heading out in a couple weeks i think i'll let you know how i do
    Ryan

Steve Dedon
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Yellows

KS

They start the spawn @ approx 72-74 degrees water temp. and the males will not bite at this time. They, the males than guard the eggs till hatched than guard the young for about a week, not biting the whole time. After the eggs are layed the females are chased off the nest but stay off approx approx 100 yds and will bite after they lay. This is from what I've read & seen to some extent.

Me, I quit @ the spawn & don't start up again till the water temps drop back down to below 72. Keep in mind that I have to drive 3 hrs round trip to go fishin and when I go I like to get fish..."when where n how"!!!!

Hope this helps abit.

:006:

Last edited by Baitkiller; 03-27-2007 at 04:08 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast