Fox River - Early April catfishing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ben
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fox River - Early April catfishing

I want to go catfishing the first week of april and I wanted to know if that would be to early to catch some cats on the fox river by st charles. If so what would be the best way. Ive never fished this part of the fox before.
    Any help would be great.

John Danner
    Post Thanks / Like

I am catching cats on the Illinois River near Pekin right now, so I think you should be fine, I am catching my on cut shad and shad Guts.

Chuck
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had moderate success on the Fox in April south of the Yorkville dam. I would aim for slower spots on the river as the Cats are not quite as active yet.

kenny
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Chuck...unless the water temps get a little warmer,the cats wont be that active.I think the water temp rite now is 38 degrees.But who knows...it might be in the 50`s in a couple of weeks which isnt too bad.Just try to find some holes and you might be able to get some action.I`ll be going there sometime this week,so i`ll post if i have any luck.

Chuck
    Post Thanks / Like

I was at the Yorkville dam yesterday and one of the regulars said the water temp was in the mid 50's. He had 3 small cats, 2 good sheep's heads, and 3 carp in his basket.

I plan on going out this weekend and hitting the banks. I'm going to test the theory that as the river rises, the fish attack the worms that the rising waters force out of the banks.

Rick
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to be up on the Fox this Saturday-Tuesday. I heard it's up pretty high right now like the rivers down here, but my grandma said its not over her dock so that means its still fishable to me:smile2: . And that river has enough cats in it that we've caught them just about anytime there's no ice on the water. We were up there a few years ago just fishing off that dock with chicken livers in the middle of december and catching a decent number of cats. Since the water is up and muddy right now, good bets are to fish slower water if you can find it and to fish any sorts of cut baits, chicken livers, or anything with good smell and blood trails to it.

kenny
    Post Thanks / Like

The water is very high,fast and muddy ryt as of Sunday at St.Charles.Not too much luck,but i was goin for eyes with minnows...Let us know if you guys have any luck.

Rick
    Post Thanks / Like

Got back home yesterday from up on the Fox and had moderate success. Was finally able to get my first fish of the year, it was a healthy 15" channel cat on chicken livers. The river was still high and fast, but wasen't as muddy as you'd think with the levels. The trick was fishing any sort of slack water you can find. Since we were confined to fishing off 2 docks, the trick for me was fishing about 20' off the bank and casting underneath docks in about 4' of water using chicken livers and cut creek chub. Ended up with maybe 20 catfish all between 12-18", no monsters, but it was nice to get out and finally get some fish. They only seemed to be hitting from about 6-8:30am and from 7-9pm.

Chuck
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by treddinwater View Post
    They only seemed to be hitting from about 6-8:30am and from 7-9pm.
    That does not surprise me. The Fox can be finicky. I've found that my best times are from 6-11AM and 5-10PM. They seem to rest in the afternoons. I think it has something to do with the generally shallow nature of the river. The fish have gotten used to hiding from the sun and heat created mid-day and have just adopted this year round.

kenny
    Post Thanks / Like

Good job...i have yet to catch a fish from the Fox this year.What part of the Fox were you fishing from?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast