Bass on the Fly

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bass on the Fly

Conrad
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bass on the Fly

I've decided that "traditional" methods of bass fishing don't interest me too much anymore, with exception for tournaments. But I'm looking to start up with fly fishing for them. A buddy of mine suggested a 4 or 5 weight rod. I can't cash out a lot of money, anyone have any suggestions on what would be good?

Scott
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a cabelas fly rod in 4 weight I use for trout but it could be used for bass as well. youd just use a different leader. you can get a good beginners rod/reel from cabelas for a $100. If your going for bass you may want a weight forward line or sinking to help you cast & get your fly where you need it. but that again depends on what your throwing to them.

Stu
    Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend something bigger than a 4 weight for bass, especially if you want to throw weighted jigs or bigger poppers...I have a 5/6weight rod and have a tough time flinging a big popper very far, but the smaller poppers (that also catch bream) are still a blast to throw.... then again I'm no pro at fly-fishing, but I am looking into something around 7/8weight for bass...

One thing about fly-fishing for bass, at least down here, they will almost ALWAYS hit a popper if worked right, doesn't matter what time of year!

Edward ( Ed Harrell
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yea bass just love's to hit big poppers If you don't want to use your trout rod wally world sells a good cheap rod that would be good for startin on I would get a 7 or 8 for bass and get a 10 lb leader instead of 2 lb A bumblebee popper is deadly :tounge_out:

Conrad
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Methods...

For some reason, I want to catch one on a mouse pattern fly, and I've got one lake where I know a shad patterned streamer with be deadly! But I'll definatley hang on some poppers and maybe something frog patterned for the evening bites that can be crazy on topwater there.

Buck McClendon
    Post Thanks / Like

A 8 weight rod would be better than a 6 weight rod for bass fishing, I have trouble getting any distance with the larger flies on a 6 weight rod.

Jerry Fletcher
    Post Thanks / Like

The 6 wt works fine. No, you can't cast the 1/0 and larger flies as easily, but if I want to cast something that large I'll grab my spinner or baitcaster and cast a lure. Flies in the 2-6 range do just fine for bass, including large ones.

Paul Skaggs
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Night Bass

"User of big rods and reels cause momma told me not to play with my food"

Jerry I am with mamma! I use a 9 and like big muddler minnowes, amazing how aggressive they get at night.

Jerry Fletcher
    Post Thanks / Like

Fly fishing is one area I change. A 6 wt rod will not wear you out as quickly. I started with an 8, once had a 10 for saltwater fishing. The 6 does the job, ya' just gotta pop that bug louder. Big fish will hit itsy bitsy baits. For catfish, though, I change. Don't like to leave even an eater behind because the line failed. As for bringing in a 7 or 8 pound bass, the 6 wt will do the job. I know folks who are now using as light as 2 wt rods and catching 7 lb bass with no problem.

Jerry Fletcher
    Post Thanks / Like

A compromise:

This rod in a 6wt, good starter rod:

http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/rods/signature.html#T

This reel same as the rod size, or an Okuma 5/6 wt reel:

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse

This line in a 7 wt:

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse

These are some examples in a middle range beginning fly outfit. Bass Pro isn't the only place that carries those items posted from there. TFO makes premier fly rods at a much lower cost than Sage and others. A 6 wt rod can easily cast a 7 wt line, which is a good starter line weight for bass. Most fly rods will cast a line wt. one size larger or smaller than the rated line. A wide arbor 5/6 wt fly reel will handle a 7 wt. bass bug taper line. My Okuma Carina C5/6 reel, think I paid $40, does what is necessary for bass fishing with a fly rod, it holds the line.

If you want to go cheaper, both Bass Pro and Cabela's offer decent outfits for around $100, but I wouldn't go cheaper for a combo outfit. The nice thing about a 6 wt rod, especially a decent one, is it does allow you to use that heavier line or move to one size smaller if you fish for trout. Going up one size wll not hurt performance, but going down one size may compromise casting distance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast