Growth rate for blue catfish in Missouri

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AARON

Post Thanks / Like

Default Growth rate for blue catfish in Missouri

What is the growth rate for blue cats in MO. Ive read that 50 lbs blues can be 15 years old or could be 35 years old that just seems odd to me that most fish wont get over 50lbs but some get 100 in the same amount of time. Is their anything other than here say on their growth rates.

Bob Simmons
    Post Thanks / Like

Default growth rate

I have heard the same thing. One says 50 lb will be 50 years old another has them there in 25 years. The Missouri Dept of Conserevation is doing an in depth study on catfish. It has been going on for about 2 years now. I am on the mailing list for updates but havent heard from them in a while. I have heard they have found some really surprising info on them. Like they will travel for as much as 50 miles up and turn around and come back down. I am really anxious to hear their final findings. Dont know when that will be though

Bill Walker
    Post Thanks / Like

I've often wondered the same thing. Also about flatheads. Every now & then you hear about someone catching an 80 or 90 pounder from the Missouri, etc & I always wondered how old it would be. I wrote to the MDC once, but i don't think they answered.

john
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

Good Question.I Believe it has a whole lot to do with the avalable Food Sources Though.J.D.

Gary
    Post Thanks / Like

"If people grew the way fish do, grandparents would be taller than basketball players."

Here is a link with some interesting information about how fish grow:

http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg03_Fishi..._agegrowth.pdf

John "Cuz" Alle
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The Blues grow very very slow. The very large ones are decades old. The flatty's on the other hand are one of the fastest growing species of fish. I had an outstanding article on catfish growth rates and reproduction but cant seem to find it this morning. I'll keep looking and post it here for all to see later.

AARON

Post Thanks / Like

I watched a video on Infisherman catching cats in VA it was said that the
    blues had only been their for around 30 years and they have fish of 80 lbs now.
    I also read of two 11 year old tank raised fish that one 10 lbs and the other 27lbs?
    Last edited by Cut bait; 03-07-2007 at 09:14 AM.

andrew
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theonecatfishbob View Post
    I have heard the same thing. One says 50 lb will be 50 years old another has them there in 25 years. The Missouri Dept of Conserevation is doing an in depth study on catfish. It has been going on for about 2 years now. I am on the mailing list for updates but havent heard from them in a while. I have heard they have found some really surprising info on them. Like they will travel for as much as 50 miles up and turn around and come back down. I am really anxious to hear their final findings. Dont know when that will be though
    how do I get on that mailing list as well?

Bob Simmons
    Post Thanks / Like

Default mailing list

I dont know Andrew. I can only guess you can contact MDC and express your interest. I went to a meeting at Busch Wildlife Area. They told us about some of the ideas they had and allowed us to voice our opinions as well. Like I said its been about 2 years now and I havent heard from them in about a year. I guess a study of this magnitude takes a long time. If I do hear anything I will certainly post the info on the BOC boards.

Bob Simmons
    Post Thanks / Like

Default growth rate

Andrew, I made a phone call. If you will call Cris Morrow at 636 441 4554 and tell him you are interested in getting on the list for updates on the catfish study he will help get you started. Anyone else is welcome to do the same. He said the more people expressing interest in the study the better. It will let the biologists know there are a lot of people interested. You will have to ask for him when you call cause he rarely answers the phone himself. Tell him I told you to call.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast