Adding Center Log to a Pontoon

Franklin
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Adding Center Log to a Pontoon

I have a Pontoon rebuild project that I'm about to start and I'm toying with the idea of adding a center pontoon.

Has anyone done this before? If so, was it worthing it.... performace, any gas savings??? Did you modify your trailer???

I found a place that will sell a 10' center log with motor mount that will extend 18" from the back of the boat. This would set the motor back from its current position about 15".

The company stated it will add 650lbs extra floatation to the rear of the boat. They also sell a 15' center log, would that be better?

My current boat is a 20' bass buggy DL

Looking for anyone's input on this.

J.C.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I know that at one time Tracker was adding the center toon on the bass buggys. You might check with them.

Jerry Trew
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing you definitely want to check before you decide which length to get is, will your motor controls still reach if you opt for the longer 'toon? Also, if you need to get to the motor for some reason, how much more difficult will it be to reach it at the new location? On the positive side, the more floatation you can get, the safer it is, IMO. Plus, if you've got the bench across the back, you might be able to modify the center section to hold a large built-in gas tank. With 650# extra floatation on the rear, you can certainly afford the weight there, and since the tank would be on the centerline, it wouldn't cause any tipping.

Franklin
    Post Thanks / Like

agreed about the holding the extra weight... that is what I'm wanting it for... bigger livewell, better floatation, better performance, better gas mileage... ect.

I'm doing a full rebuild on this and when I bought the boat it had 2 old school green bus seats for the bench in the back, an old I/O motor coweling for a table... lets just say this boat was trashed on top. I'm gutted everything and starting from scratch. I'm lucky for the fact it has an aluminum deck

Ronald
    Post Thanks / Like

wouldnt it be cool it you could build an enclosed tank inside the center toon that had access from the top that you could use as a live well? sealed off so the toon would still have its floating capacity

Richard
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Water Glide

You might want to try this instead, I think it would be a lot cheaper and less trouble.
    http://www.pontoonwaterglide.com/

Franklin
    Post Thanks / Like

waterglide will not work on my boat... the current center motor mount part cover the back 3rd of the boat... meaning I would have to put the glide from the middle of the boat forward.

Plus I'm liking this center pontoon log... it adds floatation, can hold a gas tank and gets the motor to sit back.

But, I've yet to find anyone that has added one to their boat... still looking.

Richard
    Post Thanks / Like

Koon,
    Do a search for "3rd toon" on this site. There are a number of returns from members that have done this.
    http://www.pdbmagazine.com/fusetalk/forum/

USCA STAFF
    Bryan Shrum
    Post Thanks / Like

Richard,

Ron Howard(Roundhill) has added a center pontoon to his boat. Look him up and shoot him a PM.

Member since July 2002
    Staff member since September 2003
    Retired Army - 1975 -1995