Quantcast
Spoonbill eggs

In Memory of MRR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spoonbill eggs

brad
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Spoonbill eggs

who has used the eggs from your spoony for catfish bait.I tried it last season an found out that it works pretty well.

Mike
    Post Thanks / Like

I was fishing once at twin bridges off the dock and catching nothing.This boy who was sitting next to me and my buddy, went and got some spoonbill eggs from some guys cleaningthier catch.Boom - he was catching channels left and right- sitting 5 feet from me:crazy: .However read the regulations- I think it is illegal to fish with spoonbill eggs in Oklahoma.

Max Howard
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They are also really valuable as caviar. most guys that fish for them commercially do it for the eggs. so that could be a really expensive piece of bait-they probably like a big juicy steak too but that aint gonna happen! lol

Vince
    Post Thanks / Like

Default spoonbill eggs

I just read the oklahoma regulations for spoonbill. It doesn't say anything about using the eggs for bait. It doesn't say you can, and it doesn't say you can't. Hey, I'm for using whatever they'll bite on!

What do you use to keep the eggs on the hook? I never thought of using them, but if they work that good, I"ll start saving mine from the rare few I get my hands on.

Chris
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoonbill eggs do work great and are legal to use. There is strict regs on harvesting spoonbill one per day and it needs to be tagged just like a deer. I believe this rule not only applies to a spoonbill as a whole but any carcess parts you might use. I'd keep your tag info on a zilpoc bags if that's what your eggs are in to CYA. There's also a limit on the amount of raw unprocessed eggs one can have in there posession....I don't have the regs close to me but it's something like fifteen pounds.

I was taught to pull the whole egg sack out of fish being very careful not to break open the egg sack. Let the eggs sit out for a short while in the sun then freeze. Now cut chucks off and place on your hook. While the eggs thaw on your hooks they slowly fall off getting that catfish's attention.

Jon Nay
    Post Thanks / Like

Old pair of nylons would work also,just cut a 2x2 inch sq. and stuff with eggs,thread on any type hook like with liver

jim wainwright
    Post Thanks / Like

Default spoonbill eggs

spoonbill eggs are illegal, to use in Missouri. Page 65. 3 csr 10-6.525
    Jim

brad
    Post Thanks / Like

yes I took mine out of the fish and put them straight into a freezer bag.And freeze take out about an hour before u go or just on the way. And like mr cook said use some nylons. I use a #2 circle hook.

David Frantz
    Post Thanks / Like

I would not use them as bait. They are sooooooo tasty when prepared correctly as a caviar. I have started saving my catfish eggs as they are quite good to eat as well.

_edit_ Don't ask me how to prepare them. I was given some by Albert McBee and they did not last long at all.

Dave
    Last edited by Okccatman; 02-15-2007 at 05:25 PM.

Albert McBee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Keep them spoonbill eggs...

Don't waste those spoonbill eggs by using them for bait! What a waste!

Use the following recipe and produce genuine caviar that would sell in the Gormet store for $3 to 15 per OUNCE!

If you will carefully line the sink with a single layer of cheesecloth, place the egg sacks in the sink with the stopper in. Gently run cold water into the sink until it covers the egg sacks.

Now the work begins... carefully remove all of the little membranes holding the eggs together without popping the eggs. All of the membrane must be removed or the caviar will not look right.

Prepare a clean plastic washtub with a cover for the brining process. It must be large enough to hold twice the volume of the cleaned eggs.

Make a brine by dissolving 2 pounds of non-iodized salt per gallon of water used.

Carefully drain the cleaned eggs by picking up the corners of the cheesecloth and holding it over the sink until the dripping is stopped or you get tired of holding it. Allow the water to drain away. DO NOT squeeze the egg mass to force water out of it.

Place the cheesecloth into the brining tub with the brine, opening the cheesecloth to allow the saltwater to permiate the entire mass. Allow the eggs to soak in the brine for 30 minutes, then carefully stir the eggs with your hands, removing any tiny bits of membrane as you find it. Repeat every 30 minutes for a total of 2 hours.

Once again, drain the caviar in the cheesecloth without squeezing the mass. This time, allow the caviar to drain completely in the refrigerator overnight. Run the brine down the drain.

Package the finished caviar in small portions of 1/2 cup or less. A little goes a long way. Be sure to identify the packages of caviar in accordance with the ODWC directives. Give some away as gifts, serve some at special parties with a nice white wine and enjoy the rest yourself.

Delicious!

I've still got some I made last year. It's best eaten within a few weeks, but it keeps well in the deep freeze. Try it with a regular pate' or your favorite cheese dip on crackers. You'll see why the Russians went nuts for this stuff!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast