semi v or jonboat for river?

Andrew
    Post Thanks / Like

Default semi v or jonboat for river?

I own semi V, I alway use this boat on lake. now here, I thought jonboat are easy flat for river than semi V.. Any opinion?? Thank

Ronno
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Deep V

I use a deep V MirroCraft OUtfitter, love the way it handles everything. On the Ohio river big barges make BIG waves... this rides them very nice... I had a flat bottom and it worked great all the time until the barges passed by...

James
    Post Thanks / Like

how deep is the water in the river u fish?
    some of the rivers i fish u HAVE to have flat bottom, they can pass over sand bars easier and easy to pull over ones they cant

Charles Parrish
    Post Thanks / Like

its all personal preference a v-bottom will cut a wake as opposed to riding over it like a flat bottom , generaly the flat bottom is the boat for shallow water fishing or stump jumping it wont set in the water as deep as the v . i have a 16' riverjon 6' wide it sets 3 or 4 inches deep as opposed to the v that sets 8 to 12 inches . the flat bottom will nose dive bad when rideing over a wake head on into it where the v will cut it more . when anchored and hit from the side by a wake a v-bottom will rock more compared to the flat which will rise up and over the wake . the main reason i chose the flat over the v is it seems theres more room to move around , my decking in the boat is 5 foot wide from stern to bow as opposed to the tappered bow of the v-bottom .

Randy
    Post Thanks / Like

My semi V is a great fishing machine but fishing a trotline in current it cuts from side to side where my flatbottom does not. And when your going to pull up to a sand bar or gravel bar and git out of the boat and fish you cant beat my flat bottom, its a 16' with a wide 52" bottom and a perfect river boat. But I find most of the time I'll use the 1860 modified v I like the walking around room.

Mike Stoops
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a modified V 1754 jonboat. It does the stumps and shallows but does a better job on the chop than a regular jon though you do have to slow down for the barge wake.

Andrew
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GMC FishHauler View Post
    how deep is the water in the river u fish?
    some of the rivers i fish u HAVE to have flat bottom, they can pass over sand bars easier and easy to pull over ones they cant
    some guys said low james river is about 70ft to 90ft but I never have put my boat in low james yet but someday I will. and There will big ship into low james river, when big ship are coming forward to us, I will get away from big ship and find safe place.