Catfish bait dumplings

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bob Durr
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Catfish bait dumplings

I've several jars of old catfish bait. In an effort to use it up ,probably cause I'm too cheap to throw it away, I'm wondering about making my own version of the bait by making it into bait dumplings. Why dumplings? Cause they are just basicly boiled flour and water and pretty tough. Tough enough to stay on the hook longer? Dunno.But it seems like a good idea for trot line bait.I'm pretty sure it will stay on the hook longer than doughballs and longer than preformed bait.
    What I'm lookin for is a dumpling recipe that has added ingregients in it.
    One thats interesting is a bacon flavored recipe. It has just 5 tablespoons of extra flavor enhansing ingredients.
    Anyone ever tried dumplings for bait?
    comments welcome

tom

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like a pretty good idea id like to try it maybe let me know how it works!

Buck McClendon
    Post Thanks / Like

Bob's all purpose dumplings, can be used as fish bait, survival food, keep the neighbors at bay, mark your territory, and thousands of other handy uses.

If you could find a way to make it have more resilience, it should work.

Pete Kildow
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

We make them for years when fishing for a living.
    Make sure to use standard flower, And when boiling them., You can add flavors to the water .
    Also as you take them out of the boiling water dip them in ice water that makes then even tougher.
    WE had big 2'X6' frames made up and had screen wire on them. That way they would dry well on them.
    Pete
    Wild Wolf Products Fishing Tackle
    Need Hooks?
    Home of the Kat Bobber
    http://Wildwolfproducts.com

Bob Durr
    Post Thanks / Like

ShilohRed
    Was catfish your target fish?
    Did you just basicly use flour and water or did you use other ingredients.Is it a long kept family secret?
    About your fishing for a living, did you use long lines?
    Basicly how did you fish?
    seems like there are a lot of possibilities.

Pete Kildow
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

For the dough balls..
    If you know how to make the dough for bread or chicken and dumplings just make the dough up roll it out to about 1/2 inch thick and cut it into 3/4 to 1 inch size bait. I use a pizza cuter to cut the dough. Then put what ever flavor you like into a pot of boiling water.
    I use nutmeg in mine.
    Take the dough and put it into the water until it floats or about 3 minutes then put it into cold water for 1 minute this will make it tough. Take out of cold water and place on paper put cornmeal on them this keeps them from sticking to each other. Then I put them on a screen wire to let them dry.
    After they dry put them into a bag and go fishing.

If you don't know how to make the dough make it with flower.
    don't use self risen flower.
    Take 3 cup's of the flower and just enough water to start stirring it. When you have it right roll it out ..

We were after catfish, And were fishing trot lines in the Tn river. WE had 50 hooks per line. Hooks were spaced 8ft apart, And The lines were in a box.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...hing/img18.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...mperline02.jpg
    We would fish 10 to 15 box's per person per night 6 nights per week. WE put them out in late evening and take them back up as we took the fish off them in the am.
    Also with the lines in th boxes I can put them out running the outboard motor about 20+ MPh.
    Pete
    Need Hooks?
    Home of the Kat Bobber

Jerry Trew
    Post Thanks / Like

Pete, I've got a couple of ideas about putting cornmeal on the dumplings, and I'd like to have your opinion. Instead of cornmeal, how about one of the following:
    garlic powder
    vanilla
    anise
    cheese powder (for making cheese sauce)
    shrimp flavor powder from Ramen noodles

I've heard of wetting mineature marshmallows, rolling them in garlic powder, then letting them dry.

Letting bait-sized pieces of chitlings sit in your favorite flavoring can produce an effective extremely long-lasting bait, too.

Pete Kildow
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by jtrew View Post
    Pete, I've got a couple of ideas about putting cornmeal on the dumplings, and I'd like to have your opinion. Instead of cornmeal, how about one of the following:
    garlic powder
    vanilla
    anise
    cheese powder (for making cheese sauce)
    shrimp flavor powder from Ramen noodles

I've heard of wetting mineature marshmallows, rolling them in garlic powder, then letting them dry.

Letting bait-sized pieces of chitlings sit in your favorite flavoring can produce an effective extremely long-lasting bait, too.

Jerry it would work.
    But all the Cornmeal is there for is. To keep them from sticking together.
    You can add about any flavor in them when mixing. Just add it to the water and its in them. As for the Powder or garlic. I would add it in when mixing them and to the water. That way its in them good.
    Works great as bait on lines. Never did well on Rod and Reel with them. But never know .

Pete
    Need Hooks?
    Home of the Kat Bobber

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like a great recipe.

Michael Craig
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by ShilohRed View Post
    For the dough balls..
    If you know how to make the dough for bread or chicken and dumplings just make the dough up roll it out to about 1/2 inch thick and cut it into 3/4 to 1 inch size bait. I use a pizza cuter to cut the dough. Then put what ever flavor you like into a pot of boiling water.
    I use nutmeg in mine.
    Take the dough and put it into the water until it floats or about 3 minutes then put it into cold water for 1 minute this will make it tough. Take out of cold water and place on paper put cornmeal on them this keeps them from sticking to each other. Then I put them on a screen wire to let them dry.
    After they dry put them into a bag and go fishing.

If you don't know how to make the dough make it with flower.
    don't use self risen flower.
    Take 3 cup's of the flower and just enough water to start stirring it. When you have it right roll it out ..

We were after catfish, And were fishing trot lines in the Tn river. WE had 50 hooks per line. Hooks were spaced 8ft apart, And The lines were in a box.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...hing/img18.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...mperline02.jpg
    We would fish 10 to 15 box's per person per night 6 nights per week. WE put them out in late evening and take them back up as we took the fish off them in the am.
    Also with the lines in th boxes I can put them out running the outboard motor about 20+ MPh.
    Pete
    ShilohRed you need to sumit this to the BOC library. Good idea. I will try this out.Thanks

IT ONLY TAKES ONE CAST--MY DAY WILL COME

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast