Trinity River blue catfish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trinity River blue catfish

The Trinity has gone above flood stage at Liberty, looks like I'll be waiting a little longer to get the big bluecats. Way too much flow for the 1648 Big Jon. Hit Conroe this past weekend for a Bass prefish,would'nt you know it, caught a nice channel cat on a home-made streamer. Guess I'll hit Lake Houston in search of cats this weekend instead of the Trinity. Sure wish I could go to the mighty Trinity though. Oh well, good things come to those who wait, so I'm due when the weather clears!:cool2:

Benji Caywood
    Post Thanks / Like

Good Luck to you. I fished the trinity many years ago but, futher north, near Ft. Worth. Lake Conroe I know has a good bass population but, how is the catfishing there?

Jerry Fletcher
    Post Thanks / Like

For channel cats, L. Conroe has the highest population in the state. There are some good blues in the lake and some flatties, but channels are the best bet. some biggies have been caught there, including a 30+ lb one as I recall.

Benji Caywood
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
    For channel cats, L. Conroe has the highest population in the state. There are some good blues in the lake and some flatties, but channels are the best bet. some biggies have been caught there, including a 30+ lb one as I recall.
    Thanks Gadzooks, I have never fished Conroe but, had heard good things about it.

bobby ingram
    Post Thanks / Like

i plan on going to trinity to fish around the 1st. hope the river will be back down by then.. i have never been that far up livingston but hear the fishing is good up there.

Ray Weeks
    Post Thanks / Like

Rudetech, Man why do you think you can not catch the blues when the water is high? Man when the water is up is some of the best fishing!! I'll take high water over low water ANY DAY! I have a 1652 G-3 and a full bank river will not hurt you. Now I do understand that the river looks bad but there are some super spots to catch fish. Not out in the super swift current either. You will have to launch in the cut because your boat will not fit under the bridges at the 90 ramp but man the blues bite like crazy!! If I was not on call this weekend I would be putting out lines and I'm telling you I would catch fish. I will go down to the cut Saturday if it's not raining and I don't have to work. I'll give you a few hints on some spots if you want to try it out. I can tell you about a spot that you can fill the boat this time of year but I don't like to tell everyone where it is. It's a super winter spot.
    Tuffish If you mean north of the lake it's good up there too but I know way more about the river below the lake. We are planing a trip to Midway in the early spring if I can get away from work for the weekend.

Jason
    Post Thanks / Like

agree coolarrow2, I'm chopp'in at the bit to wet a hook this weekend with all this fresh water fall'in from the sky.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Coolarrow, It's not that the fish are'nt there. It has to do with the new carbs I put on the engine, I have'nt got the bugs out yet. I don't want to have any problems when I get on a full bank river. I've been trying to get to Lake Houston to debugg the fuel system. Unfortunately life gets in the way! Drove over the Trinity about 30 minute ago on the way back from Kenefic ( took the long way ), had to check up on my brothers water in the back yard situation, make sure we didn't need to move stuff upstairs. The river was moving, and I just know that there are some nasty,mean,bodacious cats in the eddy currents, not to mention the ones deep down on the current holding to the bottom. I'm going to try to hit Lake Houston Friday night to debugg the carbs, this should free me up for Saturday unless work calls. Belley Hungry! Must eat catfish! It sucks when you work on outboards and can't find time to fix my own rig! She has a fresh rebuild, just a little debugging and i'll be ownin' the Big river!:wink:

Ray Weeks
    Post Thanks / Like

Rudetech, Man I under stand about that. You sure don't want to get down river and the motor quit on you. What boat place you work at? I know a couple of boat mech's my self around the beaumont area. I can not wait to get on the water. I will just get ready this weekend and go next weekend. I'm still catching bait with my buddy so we will be set for next weekend.

scott smith
    Post Thanks / Like

ive fished the trinity only about 6 or 7 times but it was always on the rise or when it was flooded. only thing ive caught was blues when in this position. set lines for flats and did no good. lots of blues though from 1-2 lb eating size on up to 45 lb bragging size....curious to how you do so let us know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast