Trapping Perch (Sunfish)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Lawrence Wise
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Trapping Perch (Sunfish)

Tony and I have been having a somewhat discussion as to wether it is legal in OKlahoma to trap perch for bait. He contacted someone who said "yes, it was legal". I got an e-mail from the Dept of Wildlife Enforcement Divison (CPT Deckard, I believe it was) who said "no, it is not legal to trap sunfish in Oklahoma". So, we have kinda been stuck. Today I went to OKC to get my lifetime Hunting/Fishing license, and while there I went to the enforcement division offices and visited with a LTC Edwards, Room 202, Oklahoma Dept. of Wildlife. He pulled out a copy of the regulations and on page 9, in the left column under the heading of SEINES, CAST NETS, TRAWLS AND DIP NETS he read and stated that it was legal to take perch by these manners if they were being used for personal bait (not for sale) and you complied with the length, size and mesh requirements. I asked specifically about trapping. It is illegal to use minnow type traps to trap game fish or non-game fish in Oklahoma. So, the trapping of perch is illegal. A no-no. Something NOT to do.

While there I also asked the age old questions about juglines. Senario...a jug is washed ashore. Can you dispose of it... answer - if it does not have a legible tag with the owners name and address, it may be disposed of. Otherwise, it is illegal for you to tamper with the jug. Second senario...a jug is in the water with green slimy stuff all over the lines...can you dispose of it...identical answer. LOL

Women are as old as they look-Men are not old until they stop looking

Gathering Monitor (Instigator)
    Tony Farrar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good info lawrence, not what I wanted to hear, but good none the less

Rich
    Post Thanks / Like

Notice he said legal if trapping for personal bait, hmmm

Jerrod Lingle
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm.... this is something that I called our game warden and asked him specifically. He said that catching perch with a trap was legal. Therefore I used a perch trap last year in private ponds as well as a few public creeks. Worked out fine. He said as long as game fish weren't being caught and kept in the trap, then it would be fine.

I guess if nothing else, I'm excited to know how my game warden feels about it.:cool2:

BobbySchroeder

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I guess I am going to continue to break the law, when I find a jug that has moss and it is humg up, I accidently end up cutting the line, and not wanting to liter the shore line, I pick the float up, and dispose of it when I get to a Marina. I too appreciate the answer, because I often catch perch in my net when I am getting shad around docks.

Lawrence Wise
    Post Thanks / Like

If you catch perch in the cast net, it is legal to use them for bait... that complies with the data posted above. What is not legal is to make one of the mesh traps like in the library and set it in the water. If you catch minnows or crawfish in a mesh trap, your okay.... if you catch other fish, they have to be released. You can catch a 15 lb bass on hook and worm and turn around and use it as whole bait or cut bait for big blues... the thing is any fish has to be caught by a legal means before it can become bait. cast nets are legal for shad, and if you catch sunfish, or other non-game fish, you can keep them... if you catch bass, crappie, catfish, etc, you must release them or pay the price. The Lt Colonel said his office should be notified of jugs, trotlines and limblines which are not being maintained iaw state laws/regulations. Guess they'll set up a sting operation or such..lol
    Women are as old as they look-Men are not old until they stop looking

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Hey AwShucks did you happen to ask about the limbline and yoyo question we had?

Larry

Will Green

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like we still have a problem. Lawrence, I saw him after you did, and he told me that we could use bait traps for bluegills, as long as it's for personal use.

Also, asked about the pvc/yo-yo and they're alright to use.
    Pvc, itself for a limbline ain't.
    Will

ALLEN SHAEFFER
    Post Thanks / Like

Default perch traps

I spoke with all game wardens in my area and they all said perch traps were legal. But like Lawrence said they come under the mesh size rule. You can not use minnow traps or anything like 1/4 inch mesh for perch traps.And like the rule said,the perch are to be used for personal use only,not sold.Also traping of all game fish is illegal.
    All of the game wardens said the traps should be marked just like a jug or trotline with your name etc. and should be checked as such.They also said it was a grey area because the law does not actually mention perch traps by name.
    I will put my name on paper seal it in plastic and attach it to my trap.At least I know where my game wardens stand on the issue.
    I think I might take one to one of the meetings Lawrence mentioned and get them to tell me specifically yes or no in front of witnesses.
    But to say it falls in this or that catagory leaves to much open to individual opinion.They need to be specific on the rule and mention the traping of fish, perch to be exact.This might be a good time for an amendment to a rule?

Gathering Monitor (Instigator)
    Tony Farrar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, looks like the issue of traps for Bluegill is still up in the air.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast