Sam Rayburn Catfish - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Jerry Fletcher
    Post Thanks / Like

Wally World raw white shrimp, the $5 bag, caught too of the blues and all the channels. The other blue hit shad I caught on L. Houston a few days before and had frozen. Twice, I had runs of 50 or more yards on the shad, but whatever it was wasn't there when I set the hook. I'm guessing gar.

A bass fisherman told me that there aren't many shad in Rayburn, don't know if I believe him, but I ddn't catch any in my net.

Jason Harris
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
    Wally World raw white shrimp, the $5 bag, caught too of the blues and all the channels. The other blue hit shad I caught on L. Houston a few days before and had frozen. Twice, I had runs of 50 or more yards on the shad, but whatever it was wasn't there when I set the hook. I'm guessing gar.

A bass fisherman told me that there aren't many shad in Rayburn, don't know if I believe him, but I ddn't catch any in my net.
    Well i have to say that there are a lot of shad. Maybe not the best of populations. When we go camping during the summer we catch plenty of shad by castnet in one night to last the entire week on trotlines. they need to go a 12 midnight at the boat docks or about an hour before daylight at the docks. i know that when i went fishing on the Red River in shreveport there was an endless supply of shad wherever i threw. didnt matter if it was in the middle of the river or close the back. i always caught on every throw.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

i tossed about ten noodles out sunday and pulled in 6 cats (blues and channels) within thirty minutes. then my boat motor would not start so we could chase the noodles...

My brother in law ran my noodles saturday morning for a few hours and pulled in 16 mainly channels. we cought more but that was only the number of keepers.
    Total we might have fised three hours and had 22 keepers and at least that number of smaller ones.
    I was using night crawlers and livers. we usually use shrimp but the stump store was sold out by the time we got there..

Name:  DSC03044.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  40.3 KB

Name:  DSC03046.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  20.4 KB

Bud Still
    Post Thanks / Like

I will be camping out at Hanks Creek park on Sam Rayburn, the first week in June. I plan on setting out some Trotlines plus baiting out some holes for R&R fishing. I always have good luck on the Trotlines. Don't get to camp out as much as I used too, so I have to get what I can when there..

If your gonna be in the area in that time frame, come by and lets meet..Another Friend of mine will also be there on the site next to mine. He is a member of the Boc also. (drk48).

Happy fishing to ya..

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I live on Rayburn and put out a 15 hook trotline last week in the cove behind my house and caught one 6 pound blue three 5's and three 4 and one 15 pound op. Caught all on live perch. I usually only catch channel, but love to catch those blues. I really like to rod and reel best but also like to fool with trot lines and jugs.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Default Memorial Day Weekend

I will be at Mill Creek Park this weekend, Any others going to be there?

Bud Still
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bud1110 View Post
    I will be camping out at Hanks Creek park on Sam Rayburn, the first week in June. I plan on setting out some Trotlines plus baiting out some holes for R&R fishing. I always have good luck on the Trotlines. Don't get to camp out as much as I used too, so I have to get what I can when there..

If your gonna be in the area in that time frame, come by and lets meet..Another Friend of mine will also be there on the site next to mine. He is a member of the Boc also. (drk48).

Happy fishing to ya..

Well we went camping on Rayburn and set out our trot lines. The wind blew too hard for 2 1/2 days to run them. Fished the coves during the high wind and caught a few. We did OK on the trot lines as we caught around 60 keepers, eating size. Had a fish fry and still had a gallon of filet's left over.

Other than high wind we had a great time..

Jim May

Post Thanks / Like

Default What do you prefer..lakes or river

I have been trotlining Rayburn a lot this year but want to rr for some big catfish. What do you recommend, Rayburn, Natches, or Angelina?

I caught a 32# Opp. last week on trotline.

Thanks,
    wildturkey

Bud Still
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wildturkey View Post
    I have been trotlining Rayburn a lot this year but want to rr for some big catfish. What do you recommend, Rayburn, Natches, or Angelina?

I caught a 32# Opp. last week on trotline.

Thanks,
    wildturkey
    You should be able to catch some biggun's at either of those places. I don't fish the neches river as it's entirely too swift. Anchor would not hold my boat in place the few times I did fish there. I know there's some big fish in there if you can stay anchored.

Rayburn has some very large fish in it and you can anchor just about anywhere and stay put. Get one of the Rayburn maps from Wally World and study it good. There is plenty of good places for big fish to hang out, but you got to know where they stay.

Good luck..

Jim May

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bud.

My problem is I don't know where the big ones hang out. I was going to try night fishing along the dam in the rip rap. It is shallow and then drops off real fast to deep water. I have seen shad in the shallows at daylight so think the fish will be there also. I don't know what I would be looking for on the lake map. I read where some fish shallow and some fish deep....Just don't know enough about catfish yet, but I am having fun learning.

Thanks,
    Jim

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast