Quantcast
large minnows for catfish bait

In Memory of MRR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Luke
    Post Thanks / Like

Default large minnows for catfish bait

I fish Falls Lake in Raleigh and have been trouble catching bait lately. I usually use cut bream and white bass. I've been thinking about trying some large (bass) minnows from the store. Anyone have much luck fishing for cats with these? December has proven to be a tough test of skill for me. I actually caught my first ever "December" cat today on a chicken liver. But I'm trying to get the bigger cats that I always catch on cut bait.....I just can't catch the bait lately. Any tips/info. would be greatly appreciated.

Luke

Bob Gilvary

Post Thanks / Like

The largest channel cat I ever saw caught, was caught on a small minnow and cane pole. An older couple were crappie fishing and this channel cat took the bait.

Never wieghed it,but when the old man held it's head to his chest hieght, the fishes tail hung down below his knees.

It was caught in Crescent Lake Fl, near Dunns Creek.

Next time you catch more bait than you need, freeze some in water for later.

Gary Idol
    Post Thanks / Like

Fished Kerr Lake this past Sunday. Same problem finding bait. Finally midday netted about 100 small shad about 2-3 inches long at the far end of a cove and caught about 6 cats later that day. Largest was only 7#. Everyone we talked too was having the same problem finding bait. I caught my biggest cat off of a dead bass minnow several years ago. Better than nothing! Worked that time anyway! Good luck!

Rich
    Post Thanks / Like

That channel I'm holding in the picture in front of you was caught on fresh water clam no bigger than my thumb nail.

Jason
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see why cut minnows won't work. Don't know if it is legal in your state or how you are currently trying to catch bait, you might consider a cheap minnow or perch trap. Also don't over look buying good ole worms. Can be a good stand by.

Luke
    Post Thanks / Like

you say freeze them in water.....i have used frozen bluegill in the past with little luck, and that was in warmer weather. but freezing them in water, does that make the difference? Do they keep more of a fresh smell/taste?
    I actually had been catching bait on an ultralight setup with either small pieces of nightcrawler or chicken liver but that has not been working lately. Hopefully a cast net will show up under the Christmas tree next week.
    I've never seemed to have much luck with the minnow trap at large lakes, but its great in small ponds for baby bream.
    Thanks for all the quick responses.

Luke

Edward ( Ed Harrell
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Large Make a great catfish bait useing dead one iworm them on start at the tail run the hook to the head

Eric
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bass Minnow

I caught the new state record on a bass minnow.:big_smile:

Greg Griffin
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Falls Lake

The best bait for Falls Lake and the abundant Channel Cats is cut Shad. Bream, Perch, Minnows....whatever....will always catch a few but Shad will give you the best chance most of the time. The Threadfin Shad will get easier to catch soon cause they will be dying and drifting to the banks if we ever get real Winter weather.

Get that cast net and head to the docks at one of the boat ramps. Upper Barton is great, Hwy 50, Ledgerock..pick one close to where you live. Throw the net off and around the wooden docks. You should always get a few Threadfins and a few bigger Gizzard Shad. If you want Bream.....try a piece of nightcrawler about halfway down one of the docks and make sure your on or near the bottom. Walk up and down and eventually you will find the Bream. That's where they hang out in the Winter. You will probably also catch Crappie on the worms there too, we always do....go figure.

Freezing the bait in water makes them almost as fresh as when you caught them. Fill a zip lock 3/4 full then drop the bait(s) in, squeeze out the air and seal. In March and April the Gizzard Shad will be spawning around the ramps at Upper Barton and after dark you can see them right on the concrete by the hundreds. Good time to load the freezer.:big_smile:

Good luck

Benji Caywood
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the large minnows when I can't find any shad and they have always worked for me. I fish at Jordan mostly and have been fishing cut shad and minnows side by side and on more than one instance the minnows out fished the shad. While blue gills work at Jordan they are not as productive for me as the shad and minnows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast