How do I properly stretch dry and flesh my muskrat furs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tony Stoll
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How do I properly stretch dry and flesh my muskrat furs?

How do I properly stretch dry and flesh my muskrat furs? because i will be selling my 19 muskrats 3 possums and some squirrels in about 2 to 3 weeks. i plan to stretch the muskrats. how do i stretch my muskrats? i have stretchers but i need to know how to do it. so if i could get some answers and maybe some pictures, it will be greatly appreciated! thanks!:smile2:

Scott
    Post Thanks / Like

"i plan to stretch the muskrats."

If you cut them in half, they will feed 2 people.

Seriously, I have only had the experience once when I was little a clobbered one in the creek down the street from the house while my Grandma was staying with me. She just skinned it with a knife, turned it inside out and coated it with salt and left it in the garage. Lasted years that way but I have no idea how to stretch the skins. Some trappers I used to know had some special grill thingy but I never saw it in action. I will ask my old friend who used to trap that I am still in touch with and post here once I speak to him. Good luck.

Rich
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont trap myself, but every hide my uncle used to do all he did was use large staples and a gun and started at the closest thing that looked like a cornerat the top put one in, pull the top to the right and then momed down not using anymore than 8 staples. Like I said I dont trap but I saw my uncle take care of a few.

John
    Post Thanks / Like

Skin the animal by cutting slits inside the legs from the feet to the tail. Turn inside out and continue to remove the hide. Once inside out and dry, fit the hide over a wire frame to stretch for a few days.

These wire frames can probably be found from any trapping or furtaking supplier. A simple online search for "fur wire stretcher" pulled up a few options for me.

Hope this helps. Good luck. We're looking to get into trapping and furtaking next year ourselves so we've been looking into it a bit.

Bob Durr
    Post Thanks / Like

here is a site for you
    http://www.mntrappers.com/skinning.html

It explains how to handle muskrat hides.

good luck

Bob Durr
    Post Thanks / Like

So OK I guess this needs a little more explaining.

After the critter is skinned inspect the hide. Remove any burrs or dried mud chunks.
    Scrape all fat from the hide. Be careful not to cut the hide.Once all fat is removed wipe off any grease.
    Turn hide inside out.
    Make sure hide is straight on stretcher.
    Hang in a cool dry airy place to dry.
    takes about a week

good luck

Kenneth
    Post Thanks / Like

Default scraping the hide

I used to use a stainless steel soup spoon to scrape the fat from the inside of a skin. remember to always scrape from the tail towards the head otherwise you are scraping aginst the grain and run the risk of cutting a hole in the hide. Good luck. Lawd, I remember getting $6 for brown rats and $9 for black muskrats back in 1980-1981. Coons got up to $28, grey foxes $37, red foxes $65, bob cats and otters over $100. I worked nights on the railroad and trapped during the day south of Va Beach, VA. Many a morning as a front would blow in, I would grab me a $500 bill when things worked right. I lived off my Railroad check and saved my fur money. Those two years I saved enough to pay for two years of Graduate School at William & Mary. Of course back then School costs were much lower than nowadays.

John C. Cremeans
    Post Thanks / Like

There is some good advice and some wrong advice on handling fur being posted here so if you want to get the most for your fur and you're going to sell locally then go to your local fur buyer and see how they want them put up. Most buyers are happy to show you just how to flesh and dry your fur.

Chris Visker
    Post Thanks / Like

I like to, right after its skinned, nail the four corners stretched out tightly to a scrap piece of plywood, fur down, and then you can rub the flesh side down with salt, about 1 pound for a muscrat sized hide, and, if its a small enough hide, you can just let it air dry for about 10-14 days.

Jeff
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin_Mormin View Post
    I like to, right after its skinned, nail the four corners stretched out tightly to a scrap piece of plywood, fur down, and then you can rub the flesh side down with salt, about 1 pound for a muscrat sized hide, and, if its a small enough hide, you can just let it air dry for about 10-14 days.

DONT SALT EM!

if ur gonna sell em that is....

IT RUINS EM FOR THE FUR MARKET... what i was told...
    cuz when the BIG BUYERS go to tan em the salt screws it up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast