Help! with reservoir catfish

Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help! with reservoir catfish

hey everyone,
    im going to fish a reservoir for channel cats for the first time.lafayette reservoir. what should i use as bait ??? how deep should i fish ( if im in the middle and on the shore )???? should i fish next to anything ?? im going sat. so if i could could get some help by then it would be great !!
    thanks brothers

Buck McClendon
    Post Thanks / Like

Eric,Here is a list of baits to get you started, bear in mind that you don't have to have all of these and this list is not all inclusive. Liver, freshshrimp, worms, cut bait ( shad, skipjsck, bluegill etc.) Minnows, commercialy prepared dipbaits. Your best bet is to ask the local baitshop what baits and where to fish.

Jonathan
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry, cant help much here. my only two reservoir cats were not at this time of year and were both over a year ago:

19" channel cat - cricket and bobber (fluke catch)
    20" channel cat - fresh caught gizzard shad, caught fishing from dock.

Both times were during the summer, at least the 20" cat was.

tom

Post Thanks / Like

hey brother if your fishing behind the resevoir bluegill and shad will work great. if your fishing in the creek or river that runs out use a pretty heavy sinker throw into an area where the current isnt too fast b/c those channels sit there and wait for the food to come to them. use bluegill or shad in front of the dam also. hope this helps a bit. good luck let us know how you do.

Scott
    Post Thanks / Like

how are you fishing? shore or boat? from shore I use cut bait & livers. if Im in a boat I drift along sand bars with either cut bait and nightcrawlers. In the one reservoir Ive fished since a boy (greenlane reservoir, it doesnt have shad) I know the channels follow the crappies. find them and a cat will be close by most of the time. Now Im fishing a new lake thats a little closer to where I live and dont have a boat to fish it yet. so Im shore fishing this new lake does have shad in it (lake nockamixon).

Brian Cummings
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Get some mackerel and anchovies. Nightcrawlers also do well for winter channels. If using a boat fish in cove areas of the reservoir as those are normally good cat spots at any lake I been too. Fish the deeper areas if you have a fishfinder to help you locate. A really good rule of thumb in Cali is fishing for winter channels during and after a good rain. They will come shallow during this time and you can catch them a lot easier. Look for run offs around moutain or hills from the bank, garanteed that they will be there or not too far away from that spot. It must be a good run off and this does not occurs unless we have a few days or more of constant rain. This is what I dream of when I go catfishing in the winter.

Charles Jackson III
    Post Thanks / Like

Try some nightclawers or livers.

Jason Dillard
    Post Thanks / Like

I only fish reservoirs, chicken livers will usually catch you something, and nightcrawlers will do well too. I usually don't catch too many in the shallows during the winter months.... they like to go deep this time of year. However, they still can be caught. Good luck!

Don

Post Thanks / Like

Mac & Cheese.. that's Mackerel and Romano mix with flour and the Reservoir water, to make a dough ball w/it.