Is the farmers almanac accurate?

Frank
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is the farmers almanac accurate?

Hey guys I live in upstate ny and do alot of catfishing in the river and lake champlain. I have been told that the phases of the moon have something to do with feeding habits of fish. seems that we catch alot of catfish when there is overcast no moon. or little moonlight. Please any info on best times to go fishing according to the moon and the weather would be appreciated. Thanks alot.
    P.S. FISH ON
    Frank
    aka
    Mrhookset

Ken Ryan
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Moon

Frank
    Speaking only for myself from past experiences........I wont even plan a catfishing trip if its closer than three days before or after the full moon. This past thursday.......three days before the full moon we caught between 250 and 300 lbs of nice blues and flatheads from one spot. Saturday my brother insisted I take him and we didnt even get a decent hard strike all day......... Same place, same set up, and marking plenty of fish......they just wouldnt bite. This has been the norm for me for years as far as catfishing the full moon. Good luck and let me know how you do on the full moon and how close you were actually to the full moon (days).

Ben
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New Moon

The best catfishing time is during the new moon (moon isn't visible) or 3 days before or after it this moon phase does something to the fish and they will continuously bite all night and as far as the full moon goes I won't fish 3 days before to 3 days after it never caught a cat on a full moon. I have tested both of these theories on the night of the new moon a friend of mine and I caught 8 cats and they didn't stop biting until we left hours later. As far as the full moon I've fished it and never caught a single cat even fishing the same spots that I know hold cats. I've heard this same thing from many other fishermen and read it in various articles, whether you are skeptical or not I've found the same results as many others in the same conditions there has to be something to it.

Steve Williams
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have to agree i have never had any luck fishing during a full moon.

Pat Powell
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is the Farmers Almanac Accurate?

That is the question,I can't say when it comes to fishing as I have never used it for that but I can say a few years back it predicted my part of Missouri was gonna get hit hard for winter and snow and they were right.We had snow like crazy,to the point everyone was saying alright already enough of this!!They claim they are about 80%accurate si I would say thats probably a fair statement,just my opinion.:smile2:

Matt Smith
    Post Thanks / Like

Tell that to the guys that just caught two 80 pounders simultaniously plus several various sized ones between 15-25#. I don't think they agree.

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds more accurate than the weatherman. I always like reading them but never really pay attention to just how accurate they are but normally they do seem to be right.

Jack Foreman
    Post Thanks / Like

Fellers if you aren't out there fishin on a full moon then it just leaves more room for me!:lol: