Quantcast
rappahanock

In Memory of MRR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rappahanock

Post Thanks / Like

Default rappahanock

anyone been fishing the rappahannock lately?
    if so any luck, and where would be a nice hole to catch a big blue
    p.s. id be using a boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello

where is everyone at??????

Rodney Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default hole to fish

I grew up on the rappahannock river,if your fishin for huge blue catfish try putting your boat in at port royal landing ,use cut shad,eels and hang on they are catching some huge cats and lots of eater size also.launch fee is five bucks and good clean ramp and bait shop at the landing.good luck

Clarence Cremea
    Post Thanks / Like

I heard that is one of the top big blue rivers. You have to pay a fee to launch a boat? So are they watching your truck too?

John
    Post Thanks / Like

where do you live?

the rapp has been in decline for years .. too many people keeping the big fish and too many people still trot lining .. i live 15 minutes from the rapp but i always go the extra 45 minutes down to the james ... much more worth it to me

if you REALLY want to fish the rapp .. tappahannock or hicks landing to launch .. there's some deep holes in the bends there that produce occassionally .. i wouldn't go with high expectations however

Post Thanks / Like

i live a block from the college, from the time i leave till the time im in the water is about 7 min. so i fish it alot. i usually put in at city docks and run about half way to 5 dollar hole. i fish near the huge dirt cliffs if you know where that is, and iv pulled a few 20lbs'ers outa there. i dont mind the drive to port royal and i usually head up stream from there about a mile. would i do better going downstream? if so how far to the deep holes? also im going to try to make the run to the james, but i want to wait for them to start bitting good. any idea when the prime time to head down is? thanks everyone for responding i was beginning to think there was nobody on this site....

Tight lines,

P.S. iv heard that there are some stripers in the rapp raight now, any truth to it?

Kenneth
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fall Bite

Should start on the James anytime now. Went two weeks ago with no success. Hoping mid November thru the winter are awesome like it has been. :)

John
    Post Thanks / Like

fish guts i probably drive by you every day .. i work at coldwell banker carriage house realty right down the street .. what street do you live on?

yeah i've fished by those bluff walls .. the best hole within a half hour boat ride of city dock .. there's another good hole another 15 minutes downstream but not really worth the ride .. by good i just mean its deep and has cover .. never caught anything over 5lbs out of it

striper should be running now or very soon on both the rapp and the james .. it usually starts first on the rapp so that's a good indicator

yeah you've gotta head down to the james .. we'll have to get together sometime .. i was supposed to go today but i had some contracts to write and didn't get a chance .. should be heading down next week .. i'll let you know if the bite is on or not .. it should be on very very soon here .. water temps are reported at mid 60's now and every report i hear is lower and lower .. last week they were mid to high 70's .. i would assume the reason its been so tough is the fish are on the move .. therefore fishing structure just dosen't work .. they pay less attention to food and more attention at getting where they need to be .. i would assume that they have to be getting staged soon here .. in 2 weeks we'll be into november .. lots of nights predicted in the low 40's now with high's in the low 60's over the weekend and into next week .. that should pull another couple degrees off the water temp .. fall feeding has got to start any time now

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Is that a L.I.P. drum in your profile pic?? When'd you get 'er. I picked up 4 during the run a couple of weeks ago.
    /scott

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, I'm heading to the James one evening next week myself. Will provide a report.

I've got one question though. I'm relatively new at fishing for the big blues and am a little unsure as to what pattern to fish during the fall. Should I look for them in deeper water or up on the flats at this time of year?

I'll be launching out of Hopewell.

/Scott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast