Noodling boxes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noodling boxes

Junior
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Noodling boxes

Do we have many noodlers out there? Does any build or place boxes in the water for this? If so please post some plans for them. Thanks curious Flathead fanatic. NIMROD:cool2:

Matt Smith
    Post Thanks / Like

I grabbed a fish once. Never again! But that's another story. But c'mon now...boxes? I saw that once on some show. These guys had snorkels on, and had a stringer. They would swim down to their boxes, put 2 or 3 catfish on their stringer, and wow they were done. They acted like they were doing something. This is my opinion, if you just gotta noodle, be brave. Stick your hand where you have no idea what's there. That's the alure of noodling. Being tough and brave. If you ain't risking life and limb, there's no point in it. Those guys were a bunch of you know whattys. I know boxes are legal in some areas, so I can't tell you what to do, but I would go all natural if I were you. I've fished creeks that were littered with old tractor tires with a hole cut in them for hand fishing, and that's no good either.

Lawrence Wise
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe that the majority of the seven (or is it 8 now) states which allows noodling prohibits putting objects into the water to entice the catfish to use the object as a nesting place. This includes old tires, water heaters, wash machine/dryer bodies, automobiles, etc. Before you bait your hole, you had best check with your state dept. of wildlife. I do know it is illegal in Oklahoma... That money would buy two or three abu 7000's and probably poles also. LOL
    Women are as old as they look-Men are not old until they stop looking

Tom Vandiver
    Post Thanks / Like

It is illegal in Missouri. It is legal to do noodling in a season but only in natural objects.

Junior
    Post Thanks / Like

Only Code On Boxes In Arkansas I Could Find,was Nothing Raised Above Surface To Aid In Capture Natural Or Artifical .

Danny
    Post Thanks / Like

NO, this is the practice of taking big fish that are nesting, this is a bad thing as the young are wiped out within minutes by gills, bass and many other fish when you remove their guard. I know don't tell me, it is not against the law where you live.

It is lawful to jump from great height but I don't do that either.

Andy
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey yall, i personally dont like the idea of artificial boxes, but I dont think we need to criticize those who do it as long as its legal where they live.

Lawrence Wise
    Post Thanks / Like

I have seen large flatheads trapped in pockets when the river fell rapidly. I believe that God somewhat watches over his flock and decides when even a fish has spent its alloted time on earth. Makes no difference if it is by hook, by hand or by nature. No one needs to preach about the sin of noodling - there is far more sin than this to face in our everday lives.
    Women are as old as they look-Men are not old until they stop looking

Shelby
    Post Thanks / Like

In Texas it is illegal but I've seen them built out of 55 gallon drums.

Cut the top and the bottom lid out of the drum. Do not cut the thick rim of the barrel but the inside of the lid. Also make sure the drum is clean.

Put a 2x4 the length of the drum so it extends a few inches beyond both ends (rims). Take a front end loader/forklift/bobcat etc.. and apply pressure squeezing the drum toward the ground, making sure the machine is on the 2x4.

You want the barrel to come out oblong in shape so the gap in the ends is 14" to 16". Once the drum is bent in the desired shape take some plate and cut ends to weld back on the drum. At one end cut a hole at the bottom edge approx. 8"-10" allowing a entrance.

Before placing the drum in the water put some sand or gravel in the barrel. (approx 4 or 5 5 gal. buckets)
    When placing the drum at the desired location always place the entrance directly down stream. Bury the drum just enough to anchor it in the water and place a couple big rocks on it to keep it anchored so if you get a heavy rain they won't wash out. At normal flow it's best to have 1' to 2' of water above the barrel.

This technique also works well in ponds so the catfish have a place to lay and protect their eggs.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong to do I'm just trying to try to help Nimrod (a fellow brother).

Hope this helps....
    Shelby
    Last edited by savage308; 10-27-2006 at 03:40 PM.

matt audet

Post Thanks / Like

I go noodling what you do is when the water is low you stick a barrel in the mud then when the water is up you wait a week or two for the cats to move in & go noodling.Be carefull for turtles though.& just so everyone knows the truth not everyone targets nesting cats & I target cats that aren't nesting & not everyone keeps what they catch or only keep what they need.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast