Quantcast
Newburgh, IN lock and dam

In Memory of MRR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rob
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Newburgh, IN lock and dam

I was getting ready to fish at the Newburgh, IN lock and dam the other day. A fellow catfisherman approached me and gave me a card sporting the BOC logo! We chatted a bit before launching into the river. I must apologize that I didnt get their names.
    They left a bit earlier than I did. We did have a hard time catching baitfish. We did catch enough to finish our day of catfishing. It was the first time I had been at that particular lock and dam on the Ohio river. We trolled around a bit to scope out the depths with the depth finder. We then began drifting, bouncing bottom....my favorite method of catfishing.
    Just before we decided to leave, my wife caught a 20 pound blue at the very end of the dam where the barges enter the lock. So we decided to try a few more baitfish. I caught a few more small ones. And that is how our day went.
    I hope you guys had a good time even if you didnt catch any fish.

Rob

Jack Holsky
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Rob, Glad the card did the trick. I'm sure who ever it was will recognize you. There are a lot of good people here, and now one more!

Brent
    Post Thanks / Like

I was there the other day but i dont remember givin any cards out. Sorry, if i forgot. Im scatterbrained when it comes to that. Anyways, welcome to the BOC. Theres quite a few of us from Evansville and Henderson. Put your picture on your profile so I can see if your face seems familiar.

There was about 3 weeks where we couldnt get any shad anywhere on the river. Maybe one in like 50 throws in the places that are full of them in the rest of the year. The shad are back now, try in the cove by the steps in the backwater of the dam, there will be a riprap bank, and then the sand in that corner. Also, the skipjack were runnin at the dam in the boils the other night. I used a sabiki rig and caught a few small ones. They made good bait and caught 183 pounds of fish in 2 outings. lol The bite has been pretty good the last week or so and the water temp dropped from 88 to 79 and its probably a little lower right now.

Congrats to your wife on the 20lber.

Rob
    Post Thanks / Like

I wore myself out with the castnet. Caught a few bait fish up in the backwater. Used that sabiki rig and caught a few. That is usually more fun than the net. A fellow on the bank pointed me out a few possibilities on the bait. What is the best way to fish at the Newburgh dam? I found a few drop offs, but like I said it was my first time there, we just drifted and bounced on the bottom.

Rob

Brent
    Post Thanks / Like

Drifting is probably your best bet this time of the year. If the water gets over 20 feet id look close to slack areas or places around the dam that they can hide behind. The water on the side of the dam with the sand beach is full of huge gar so dont waste your time. Ive put 100's of bank fishin hours into that beach to find that out. Where are you from?

Rob
    Post Thanks / Like

Union County, Ky. I usually fish at the JT Meyers dam down in Uniontown. It is about 15 minutes away from where I live.

Brent
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah ive fished there a few times, downstream a bit along the island by the dam, and where the wabash feeds into the ohio. I like that area alot. Just takes to long to get there to go regularly.

Tom Anders
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to BOC Rob

"Coyote" / Ed
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear Brother Rob;
    Greetings and "WELCOME ABOARD!":big_smile:
    I'm going to give you the names of a couple of our Brothers that would be more than willing to help you out because they fish the very same waters you mentioned in your post.
    One, is Brother J.W. Fisher/Dreadnaught, and the other, is Brother Eric Simcox/Deerhunter.
    On that particular area of the Ohio River you would be hard pressed to find someone with more Catfish knowledge than either or both of those two. And all you have to do is A-S-K and they will do everything within their power to help you out! This much I am sure of because it the same way with just about every other Brother and Sister in the BOC!:big_smile: No, I did not say we were perfect, in fact, far from it because we are all humans, but the Brothers and Sisters that I know will Never knowingly give you any bad or unsafe information! And that, I know for sure too!:big_smile:
    You also brought up a good point about the "cards", I'm going to have to get ahold of someone, probably our "FL Paul" and see about getting some for myself! So, thanks for bring that up! :smile2:
    If your out in a boat and fishing up around that lock/dam up on the east side of Newburgh please, PLEASE, P-L-E-A-S-E!!, be Very CAREFUL because the undertows, undercurrents, and all at certain times of the year can be Lethal in their danger and I have NO desire whatsoever to ever hear about a Brother or Sister that ran into that kind of trouble and did not make it out!
    So BE SAFE FIRST up around there! Dreadnaught and DeerHunter can tell you about other areas that are dangerous too, where they are and what times of the year to be especially careful!
    The Ohio can be, and IS, a very fickle "lady" at times and she shows NO Mercy What so ever to those that don't have the utmost respect for her! I know, In years past I've helped search and rescue/drag dead bodies out of her!:sad2: I really don't ever want to have to do anything like that again!:sad2: :sad2: :sad2:
    Anyway, Use your given Common Sense, Think "SAFE" all the time your near or on the water over there, and if your ON the water, WEAR Your Flotation Vest or at least have it clipped on you in some way!
    Sorry for this getting so long winded but at one time I trained in water rescue in that area and I can promise you that "Lady Ohio River" is still just as deadly and treacherous today if not more so!
    Hope this helps.
    If I can be of further help to you please don't hesitate to ask. If not me, then don't hesitate to ask ANY BOC Brother or Sister, or make a Post with your questions. You most likely will find yourself overwhelmed with all the helpful posts your going to get sent to ya!
    Although most of us are "Adults", and sometimes I use that term lightly!!:lol: when it comes to helping someone out we can also be like little kids on Xmas morning waiting loudly so that "mom and dad" will wake up so they can open their presents! We just can't wait to help someone and we just love doing it too! :big_smile: :lol:
    Again, "Welcome Aboard"
    Fraternally and Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

Head Cheese of the USCA!
    Garry Eads
    Post Thanks / Like

Rob, welcome to the B.O.C. I was the one that gave you the card.
    Glad you done some good. Had to get to work. Rodpod , see you September
    15-16-17.:lol:

BIGCAT GarryEads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast