Cold fronts and catfishing - Do you guys have any luck after?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Phil
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cold fronts and catfishing - Do you guys have any luck after?

a cold front passes? I mean when the rain stops, the temp drops, the river level is falling, the cloud cover blows out into a bluebird sky and the wind is cool and from the north? Don't seem as if I can buy a strike when that happens here on the Ohio River. Most of all my spots don't produce jack when that happens. How do ya'll fair when these conditions happen where you are? Thanks for yor time, Phil...

Robert

Post Thanks / Like

here we can catch some nice flatheads when its cold usally along deep banks they kinda have tunnels wallerd out

Walt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

A cold front started in a couple of days ago when we had a descent night catching flatheads on the Ohio river. Went back out tonight and didnt get a single run in about 3 hours. It was the same exact spot and we used the same bait. What a difference a couple of days can make with the weather change. I dont believe its the temperature change but more because of barometric pressure. Not sure of this and would like to hear more on this subject.

Phil
    Post Thanks / Like

Default You and I share like thinking Wolfman!

I also think it has much more to do with a big change in pressure than actual temp. And like you also, fishing on the beginning of an approaching front can be REAL GOOD. But man after it passes I'm done. I think they sense the coming of bad weather and feed like crazy on the leading edge of the front. Sure seems that way with bass also. Do you fish Hannibal Dam much? How close will they let boats get from downriver side? Willow Island seems to have eased restrictions somewhat in the last year or so. But will still mail you a ticket if you go above the bouys new positions. Phil...

Steve Williams
    Post Thanks / Like

Here in N.Y. the bite always seems better when the barometer is falling. I always pay close attention to the barametric pressure, but cant always get on the water when id like to. The presure has a lot to do with there feeding habits. Good luck on the water brother.

Walt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

Phil, forgot to welcome you to the BOC anyway consider it done. Yep, I fished Hannibal dam from the bank but never had much luck. Not too sure how close they allow boats but I never seen any when I have been there so I assume it is a good distance down river except for lock through traffic.

Phil
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks Wolfman. Perhaps we can get together one

of these days before too long and wet some line. I have a bunch of good fishin lies I ain't even told yet. ha ha ha. Oh yeah I forgot. I live in Williamstown to we aren't too far from one another. Phil...

mike
    Post Thanks / Like

only time i do good after a cold front is while the winds are still blowing from the northwest (rising barometor most of the time). once that wind shifts to the north, and those white puffy clouds start appearing forget it. the clear blue skies come after those white clouds roll out.

Byron Boucher
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Frontal Passage

Had a day like that last Monday. Good bite until mid morning, the front hit and started a light blowing rain. It was like you turned off a electric switch. Went back to the same place Wednesday morning caught Twentyfive the first hour.

Ron
    Post Thanks / Like

Default weather

There is a lot to what you say here. It's all true here. Trouble is I have a friend, who only seems to want to go on those days. We haven't caught squat this year. prim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast