Scuba Divers See MONSTER Catfish!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Dieter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Scuba Divers See MONSTER Catfish!!!!!!!!!

Raise your hands if you have had the "divers seen huge catfish at the dam" story cirulated in your area.

It usually goes something like this:
    "There were some scuba divers working at the bottom of the dam and they saw some huge catfish. One of the divers was so scared that he said he would never go down there again."

There are several versions; divers checking out a bridge footing, divers looking for a drowning victim, divers recovering a sunk boat, etc.

I heard it when I was a kid, and I accepted it as fact and always wondered what it would take to catch one. Of course since then I have found out that story has popped up around every body of water in just about every state in the country. I was fishing the other day and guess what I heard from someone, "hey, did you hear about those divers at the dam....blah blah blah."

I guess it shows that urban legends were around waaaaaaay before the internet.

Thomas Constant
    Post Thanks / Like

I've heard about every large lake in South Carolina. "They are as big as a car" :rolleyes:

Dale Kirby
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not really a diver story...

I think the first story I head like this was when I was pretty young. I think we were at Cumberland Falls. My dad told me the area we were at was called Dog Swallow. He said he heard that there used to be someone that lived under the falls and had 2 german shephards. The story goes that the man and his dogs were swimming across the river and a large catfish ate one of his dogs. I belived that story for many years.

Jen Rollison
    Post Thanks / Like

They wuz 10 feet long, and had whiskers as wide as the day is long, I tell ya!

Jason Landis
    Post Thanks / Like

Around these parts I think every lock on the river has been stuck shut. Wouldn't ya know the first diver goes down and swears there's a VW bug down there in front of the lock doors with the hood flopping open in the current. Then the second one goes down returning terrified to death, and refusing to go back down because it was a big ole flat with eyes the size of basketballs and anywhere from 10 to 20 feet long. To that I say let me at it, I'll wrestle that big ole hoss in one way or another. Make a darn nice world record.LOL

Brian
    Post Thanks / Like

Around here the same...or at least a very similar rumor is repeated about the Disney dam on Grand Lake, Okla. The divers saw catfish down there bigger than a Volkswagon. Swore they'd never go back down "there". Another one is a guy took a shark hook...baited it with a freshly killed whole chicken and attached it to a winch on the front of his truck. The fish took the bait and smoked the winch motor. I've heard similar stories about most every dam I've fished.

FRANK CRADDOCK
    Post Thanks / Like

i heard all those stories but the one i really enjoyed was where this little old lady's chihaua ?spelling. anyway her two pound precesious was swimming in a pond in a city park when a 30 pound flattie had him for lunch. i didn't see that one but can easily believe it.

Rainman4u2
    monster catfish

I've heard something similar, but it was one of Jaques Cousteo's divers that saw it when he went up the Mississippi River.

Ray

Aaron Massey
    Post Thanks / Like

every where has that damn story........i wonder if it stemmed from something that actually happened somewhere??

Mike
    Post Thanks / Like

I've heard the same "basic" story all my life for any dam that ever came up in a conversation.

It would be nice to know where the orignial story started. There may be some truth to it. Since, we all know there are some huge catfish out there, just by ones that have been caught. Thus, there have to be ones that are even larger.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast