How to eat carp?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sean
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How to eat carp?

What's the secret to making them taste good? I hear it can be done...

TIM
    Post Thanks / Like

i would say remove all the red meat from fillets. soak over night in lemon and salt water. when i fry fish in a dry mix i like to dredge them through milk before shacking them in mix. also i would add to keep the fish themselves on the small side sean.

Sean
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Can you define "small"?

:0a31:

Tom McMurtry
    Post Thanks / Like

First off let me say that it has been a long time since I fixed a carp for eating and my memory might not be all it should be. I will go through the steps as I remember them though.

1: Skin and gut the fish, do not scale it.
    2: Score the fish. Scoring is slicing across the fish every 1/4" to a depth of about 1/3 to 2/3 of the way through on both sides. This allows the cooking process to soften the numerous small bones. I used to score them from both directions making about 1/4" to 1/2" squares.

3. Cut the fish into about 2 to 3 inch "steaks". If you are going to grill or bake the fish then this step is not really necessary.

4. This is an approximation of the recipe we used to use:

2 cups cornmeal
    1 Tablespoon flour
    Salt and pepper
    oil or lard to fill an iron skillet to a one-inch depth.

Coat fish with dry mix of cornmeal and flour. Place in hot oil, scored side down. Fry until golden brown, then turn to fry other side golden brown.

Note: You can also use a deep fat fryer or fish cooker to cook the fish.

We never filleted the fish because of the waste.
    We also did not cut out the red line along the sides but that certainly can be done before scoring and may even improve the quality somewhat.

I am sure there will be more posts from our members in Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois that will enhance this procedure.

Verlon Lawrence
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Eating carp

I ate some carp when I was younger. Being from Louisiana, a Cajun lady that was a neighbor of ours could cook those carp very good. I have no idea how she did it. :confused:

Sean
    Post Thanks / Like

Some good ideas here. I hate seeing good food go to waste, and I know that carp can taste good. My family is also cajun, and I spent a lot of time growing up in Germany. Chances are if you're eating fish in Germany, it's carp. Only problem is I don't know how to make it taste good. Again, all of your input is -> :0a31:

Jerry Trew
    Post Thanks / Like

I've eaten carp a couple of times, and if I'm feeling generous, the best I can say is that it tasted like the really cheap fishsticks you buy in a grocery store. If I'm not feeling generous, they tasted like the cardboard from a shoebox (the gray kind); in other words, pretty tasteless. However, I feel confident that if you use enough spices, seasonings, and other stuff that tastes good, you won't know the carp doesn't have any taste.
    Along that line, it seems to me that carp might be a good candidate for making fish jerky, since 95% of the taste comes from the marinade you soak the fillets in before jerking them.

Phil Washburn

Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

when i was a kid, my mom used to make fish patties...just like salmon patties, but she would pressure cook the carp first...that softens the bones and makes them edible...as i recall they pretty darn good. just follow salmon patty recipe after you pressure cook 'em

Sean
    Post Thanks / Like

:0a36: pressure cook, mince, mix with crab meat (or ground shrimp), various herbs, salt etc. batter (or egg and buttermilk wash rolled in bread crumbs) and fry in butter. Hmm that's a thought.
    Last edited by Sean; 09-30-2005 at 12:22 PM.

Martin Kirby
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The best way to eat carp

After u bring them home u leave them in the bucket in the sun for about 3 days until they start to rot and bloat and really stink bad then u dig a hole and put them in it and cover them with about 12 inches of dirt then you plant your favorite kind of tomato plant in the loose dirt on top and that will produce some very tasty tomatoes. :D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast