Wal-Mart shad?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wal-Mart shad?

tommy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wal-Mart shad?

ok I live in far eastren ky and there isent and shad native to my fishing waters but i hear from you all that its a good bait. my local wal-mart sells shad in packs of 5 or 6 and i was wondering if the wal-mart shat would be any good seing how its been dead for who knows how long... next queastion is how should it be fished? whole or cut? there pretty big.. thanks

Tyler Riley
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never used them, but I have only heard bad things about them. Yuo should be able to find some kind of natural bait in your area.

Zakk Royce
    Post Thanks / Like

DON'T waste your money. Those things are dried up, and not worth a darn. Cacth you some Bream, Crappie, etc. And use them for bait.

Benji Caywood
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tugrivercater
    ok I live in far eastren ky and there isent and shad native to my fishing waters but i hear from you all that its a good bait. my local wal-mart sells shad in packs of 5 or 6 and i was wondering if the wal-mart shat would be any good seing how its been dead for who knows how long... next queastion is how should it be fished? whole or cut? there pretty big.. thanks
    alot of what i have read about the packaged shad is that the oils in them that attract fish have been removed and the shad are then packaged for sale. I would try to get natrual baits from the water you fish.

kc *First Name Required*
    Post Thanks / Like

yep them fish gotta be eating something
    find out what and hammer them!!
    good luck
    hey and it doesnt hurt to try them if they suck dont use them but if they happen to work then there ya go

Jon

Post Thanks / Like

I just used some this weekend the stinkbait outdid it easily. The only reason I bought is because I was not able to get some fresh but I will surely not buy it again.

Chuck
    Post Thanks / Like

Listen to the katmaster. Good advice there. Those packaged shad aren't worth the plastic bag they are put in.

Shawn Dostie
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

I find it difficult to believe that there are not shad in your waters. That said, I do not know which waters you fish. I would highly recommend a cast net and throw it into the whitewaters of your nearest spill way. Any rough fish will work. I use them cut. Actually have had great luck with the fillets, not just the bloody part.

Good Luck

Matt Hardbarger
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loanwizard
    I find it difficult to believe that there are not shad in your waters. That said, I do not know which waters you fish. I would highly recommend a cast net and throw it into the whitewaters of your nearest spill way. Any rough fish will work. I use them cut. Actually have had great luck with the fillets, not just the bloody part.

Good Luck
    Be careful where you throw a cast net at the spillway. Deer Creek you have to be 1000 feet from the dam. Just check the regulations in your area.

tommy

Post Thanks / Like

are creek chubs a form of shad??? my nearest spill way is over am hour away. i fish the tug fork river on the ky/wv border.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast